𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦-𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑟.

chapter twenty-four. . .my children

act two. . .lightening

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

𝟐𝟖𝟖 𝐀.𝐂.

──────

𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈'𝒔 𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈

𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐑𝐇𝐀𝐄𝐆𝐀𝐑 welcomed the new year with not only a celebration for another year after the Conquest passing, but also a celebration of his children. At the age of nine and twenty, he had four healthy and lively children and he planned on having more and he knew his beloved queen did as well, even if she refused to admit it.

Nobles from all parts of Westeros - even the North - swarmed to the capital to partake in the celebrations Rhaegar and Calla had arranged. They were beloved by the lords and ladies of their kingdom as much as by the smallfolk.

Many said the celebrations would be as grand as those of the wedding between Lord Rogar Baratheon and Queen Aerea Targaryen more than two hundred years before.

The opening feast proved it would be close to the Golden Wedding if not a match for it. There was not a house that did not have at least one member attend. From the Great Houses, all the members or a majority of them attended with lavish gifts and praises for the whole of House Targaryen.

The entirety of the royal family - which was quite large - was seen together with the dowager queen, the king's siblings, the king's children, the king's great-aunt, and the queen all sitting at the high table as the feast commenced.

Many whispered that the growing number of Targaryens was a sign that the gods were smiling down upon them once more. After the Tragedy at Summerhall - in the mid-century - their numbers dwindled severely and left but a few members - towards the end of the century - their population seemed to grow with every silver haired and purple eyed babe that the king and queen produced, accompanied by the two beautiful girls Rhaella had birthed.

As the king sat before the people of his kingdom - or the entitled ones at least, the peasants swarmed the city below in hopes of catching a glimpse of the king and queen - with little Princess Baela on his lap, stuffing her face with a tray of strawberry cakes Rhaegar had specially brought out for her, he knew that all the suffering had been worth it.

Daenerys sat to his left in a chair much too large for her. She talked animatedly about a book her mother had read to her about dragons and how she would have loved to see the dragons of the Old King and Good Queen - Vermithor and Silverwing.

His mother smiled brightly as she sat next to his wife, each of them holding either Viserra or Shaera. The babes cooed and giggled, speaking to one another in their own language. The queens ate fresh salmon together - recently arrived from Dragonstone - a favorite they shared.

Aegon and Daeron sat at the table as well, discussing things - most likely swords - with their uncles Viserys and Renly. They all smiled brightly, even Rhaegar's only brother, who he had worried for the most because of his temper and willfulness.

Rhaelle - who had recovered from her illness - sat with Robert and Laena, holding their new son, Steffon, in her arms and smiling. The robust and large child gurgled and clapped excitedly.

Once the main courses were served and Baela was stuffed full of strawberry cakes, leaning back against her brother dramatically and patting her little stomach, Rhaegar leaned down and whispered to her, "Should we show your siblings, nephews, and nieces the surprise we have got everyone?"

Baela jumped up on his lap, almost hit him in the face with a chubby fist, "Yes! Let's do it!"

Rhaegar chuckled before scooping the little princess in his arms. His motion caused the music, talking, and laughter to die down. Baela held her head proudly at the sight of everyone's eyes on them.

The king held back a laugh, "These past couple of years have been rough to put it lightly. House Targaryen has suffered in many ways, but it does not have to anymore, not under my reign. House Targaryen will prosper under my reign as will the Seven Kingdoms! Which is why after a year of searching I have found something valuable enough to make that promise on!"

Baela waved her hand pretentiously and servants carried out a number of boxes, placing one in front of each of the members of House Targaryen - even Calla - who looked surprised.

The eleven chests were placed down gently and whispers went around. Baela jumped onto the table and took her own chest, which had her initials carved into it.

She adjusted her tiara for a moment before saying, "House Targaryen once had dragons! The Conqueror! The Great! The Conciliator! The Good Queen! The Rogue Prince! They all rode dragons and they were Targaryens! My brother, my sister, my good-sister, my nephews, and nieces are all Targaryens! The Conqueror's blood and that of the Great flow through our veins and we shall be worthy of them!"

Even Rhaegar seemed surprised at her little speech before she flipped open the lid of her chest and pulled out the contents. A gasp went around as she held up a dragon egg with blue scales and gold swirls.

"We are dragons, my lords and ladies," Rhaegar announced as he stood behind his sister, "And it is time House Targaryen rode them once more. Many will say it is madness like that of my great-grandfather, King Aegon V, but I know dragons will live once more and before my reign is ended I will see my children and my siblings fly!"

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

It was long past the hour of the wolf and the guests of the king and queen slept in their drunken hazes. The little princes and princesses had long been put to sleep and dreamt of their beautiful dragon eggs that rested over hot fires.

The king and queen themselves laid in bed, panting for breath as they stared up at the top of their canopy. The chambers were hot and damp from their coupling and Rhaegar would not have it any other way.

Calla eventually rolled onto her side and traced a finger over his chest, "So you weren't going to tell me you found dragon eggs?"

The king chuckled and leaned forward to nudge their noses together softly, "It was a surprise."

"You told Baela," Calla accused with a happy smile on her face. Her husband shrugged but did not meet her eyes, "You do realize those eggs will have to hatch now, don't you? You will seem like a fool if they don't."

"Ever sweet," Rhaegar teased before pressing a kiss to her shoulder. She rolled her eyes in turn and raised an eyebrow at him. He let out another chuckle, "I know, my queen. I know, but they will. I have a feeling. Just trust me."

"And House Targaryen will be dragonriders once more?" Calla hummed as she glanced over at the eggs that lay in their fire place, "They will not hatch here. We will have to go to Dragonstone."

Rhaegar did not respond for a while and instead settled himself on top of her and pressed kisses down her neck. Once he reached her chest he glanced up and gave her a wink, "When did you become a dragon expert?"

Calla huffed in response and smoothed silver hair from his forehead softly, "I am not, but it is common sense. They need to be somewhere warm."

Rhaegar smiled softly once more, "We will sojourn at Dragonstone in three moons time. I will make an announcement at court tomorrow. I know to trust my wife's words."

Calla smiled at him in return and pressed a kiss to his forehead, "Then you are a wise king, my love."

✧ ✧ ✧

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐖𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐍 𝐈𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐒, rhaegar targaryen 🎉