𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛.

chapter nineteen. . .daenerys

act two. . .lightening

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

𝟐𝟖𝟒 𝐀.𝐂.

──────

𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈'𝒔 𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈

𝐑𝐇𝐀𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐀 𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐄𝐍'𝐒 cries of pained echoed through Maegor's Holdfast as she laid in the birthing bed, preparing to give birth to yet another child. Her third healthy one if she is lucky. Countless midwives, Calla, and Rhaelle attended her as she struggled to bring another Targaryen into the world, her weak body struggling against death and exhaustion.

"You are doing well," Calla said to her as she held the woman's upper body, wiping sweat from her forehead with a cool cloth. She hushed the queen softly as she reassured her.

"You are," Rhaelle smiled from her place between her niece's legs. The queen has insisted her aunt - who had studied midwifery when her grandchildren were being born - to deliver her babe. She had neither love nor trust for Grand Maester Pycelle and for good reason, "The babe is coming soon, Rhaella. Very soon, just a little while longer."

Rhaella half-sobbed from the pain and let her head fall onto Calla's shoulder. The princess wiped tears from the queen's eyes and gave her the best smile she could muster, "You will have a daughter, Rhaella. I told you that you would."

"A daughter," the Targaryen breathed happily as the weakest of smiles came to her face, "I've always wanted one."

"And you are going to have one," Calla said in a determined voice, "You have to push, though, my queen. Push with all the strength you have and then you can rest and meet your little girl."

Calla's words seemed to revitalize the woman just enough for her to push the babe out. Rhaelle let out a laugh, "I see the head, my sweet niece! Your child is almost here!"

Wails from healthy lungs filled the air not long after and Rhaella Targaryen practically collapsed with exhaustion, she only managed one question before sleep overtook her, "Is it a girl?"

"Yes," Rhaelle said through tears as she held up the babe, "A beautiful girl, Rhaella."

"Daenerys," she managed.

The queen half-sobbed, half-laughed before her eyes fluttered such and she went limp against Calla. The former-Baratheon let out a breath and checked for the woman's pulse. She was still breathing and her heart was beating.