𝑠𝑖𝑥𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛.

chapter sixteen. . .joy

act two. . .lightening

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

°➶☽∘ ✧ ∘☾➴°

𝟐𝟖𝟐 𝐀.𝐂.

──────

𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈'𝒔 𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈

𝐂𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐀 𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐖 that it was Robert who had invited Aemon Estermont to her wedding - she didn't need to be psychic to know. From the way he stood up with a boisterous laugh and open arms - and embraced the heir to Greenstone dramatically - only confirmed her suspicions even more. No one else but Calla - and Rhaelle - seemed to understand what the Lord of Storm's End was doing.

Rhaelle glared at her grandson as Rhaegar gave his new wife a confused look. 

She calmed her temper - knowing Rhaegar had nothing to do with it - before she explained the idiocy of her brother. A sigh escaped her pink lips as she took his hand and pressed a kiss to it, "Lord Aemon Estermont - as you know - is my cousin and heir to Greenstone - the next Lord of Greenstone after his father. He also happens to be the man I was betrothed to before your father broke that betrothal in favor of our match."

Rhaegar hummed in acknowledgement and gave her a small smile, "He is trying to spite me?"

"Or me," she replied half-heartedly, "Aemon and I were good friends. At the time, I had not minded being betrothed to him, he is a good man. I did not love him as a man and woman wed should, however. It was always more of a fondness and adoration. It was the same for him. We wrote to each other when the betrothal was broken - neither of us were truly offended nor heartbroken."

"So then why did Robert invite him?" Rhaegar pondered gently as he pressed his own kiss to her knuckles, "To remind me that you were betrothed before? That other men desire you?"

"Perhaps," Calla shrugged softly, "I think he was also upset when I sent my ladies home. Laena Estermont - Aemon's sister - was one of them."

She lowered her voice and pressed her mouth to his ear, "I just did not want them to be in any danger with all that is going on."

"I always wondered why you had four women surrounding you and then one day they were gone," Rhaegar admitted as he looked over to Aemon Estermont, "I didn't even realize you sent them away."

"No one did," Calla replied quietly, "It was a secret that I proudly kept."

Rhaegar nodded as he watched Robert and Aemon speak in quiet voices. Aerys was sending the man suspicious glances, but Rhaelle was doing a good job of keeping him distracted and Calla was relieved.