Chapter 43

Taking a deep breath, I walk into the kitchen and tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. My eyes roaming around the room as I bite my lip and debate what to make myself for a quick snack. Wondering whether I want something small and quick to eat or something much better like a little mini meal. Something that could keep me going until Keigo comes home with our takeout. Clicking my tongue, I open up the cupboards and bite my lip. A small whine leaving my lips as I don't necessarily know what I want to eat.

Letting Angel play in the living room, I lean against the kitchen counter as I decide to settle for some toast instead of anything else. I grab two slices of bread and slide them into the toaster before pushing it down and letting it cook. While the bread is toasting, I pull out the butter and the jam and set them on the counter. I pull out a plate as well, setting it down on the counter too so everything it ready for me to eat.

With Keigo out on patrol, there isn't really much I could do with myself. I couldn't exactly go out due to having someone threaten to kidnap me and with them still not being able to pinpoint who it is, I would rather not risk it. I didn't want to do anything without Keigo being here, I just couldn't bring myself to do hand to hand combat. Mainly because I couldn't do hand to hand combat. I can't defend myself so I don't want to risk getting kidnapped because of my weaknesses.

Plus I couldn't stand to put Angel in danger!

As the toast pops up, I pull them out and set it down onto the plate. I grab a knife from the drawer and begin to spread the butter across the toast then adding the jam. Once it's all finished, I grab my plate and sit up at the dining table to dig into the toast. The fruity flavour of the jam exploding on my tastebuds as I lean back against my seat and take a deep breath. My stomach twisting slightly despite the fact I have bolted down every single window and door that I could.

Swallow down mouthfuls of my toast, I set down the plate and push to my feet. A small sigh leaving my lips as I set it down onto the sink before heading toward my bedroom. Paranoia clawing its way into my gut. Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I look at my reflection before checking the window to make sure it is bolted down. My heart beating in my ears as I check the kick and sigh in relief as my bedroom window is locked shut.

I then head toward the bathroom to check, making sure that's locked. It is. Then I went to the kitchen, checking the window. It's locked. Then I went into the spare room. Locked. It's okay... They're all locked... I'm safe... nothing is coming in.

After reassuring myself that I'm safe, telling myself that the paranoia in my brain is just playing with me, I push myself into the living room and slump into the couch. Leaning into the pillows, I turn on the tv and pull up Netflix to watch one of the many series the streaming service has. A smile on my lips as I turn it on and begin watching a new series (one that I know Keigo won't mind me starting or one that Keigo isn't interested in).

However, before I could get past the theme song, Angel starts barking. My eyes widening slightly as I pause the show and look behind the couch. Clearing my throat, I whistle to call Angel over before cursing under my breath when she refuses to come over. The dog continuing to bark at whatever she's barking.

I swear to god if it's a squirrel I'm going to cry!

Pushing to my feet, I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and walk out of the living room. Following my dog's barks, I head through the hallway and sigh to myself as I see her sitting in the kitchen staring out the French windows with a growl. She was on all fours, her tail straight as a tailpipe as she grits her teeth and growls. My eyes widening slightly. She's never been like this before...

"Angel," I call out, walking toward her and gently running my fingers through her fur making her quieten down before snarling and running to the glass and getting on her hind legs, "Angel! What's gotten into you? Huh? Are you okay?"