Chapter 58

Amai hasn't been herself for a good while... I mean, I would be more worried if she acted like everything was fine after everything she'd just been put through the past few weeks. She's been quieter than usual. Often curling up on the couch covered in a blanket made from all the blankets that Amai and I had as children that my mother sewed together. Angel snuggling into her side, keeping her company while she gnaws on a bone. A bowl of freshly made chilli that I had made for her sits in her lap, her fork jabbed into the pool of mince and tomato. Guilt swirls in her stomach as well as confusion and frustration. Her eyes focusing on the many documentaries that I had recorded for her when I found out that Arata had been arrested.

It's almost surreal. You never imagine that someone so close to you could end up being a felon. Arata, in some aspects, would be the last person you'd think that would get arrested. I mean, policemen are the last people you'd hope would become arrested. They're supposed to keep you safe. Supposed to keep you away from people that could cause you harm yet... someone who Amai and I considered close who was a policeman had been arrested on suspicion of spying for a Yakuza. It's just so so crazy. My heart just breaks for my sister.

To help her feel a bit more safe, Keigo and I allowed Amai to move into our home until she found herself a home of her own. She's moved into one of the spare rooms, snuggling on the small single bed that we bought before we actually offered her to stay here. She's off work for now, off to try and recoup herself. Her mental state must be all over the place at the moment. She's just so nervous. It's put her off dating completely if she's being honest.

How will she know if the guy she's seeing isn't a weirdo?

Sighing gently, I run my fingers through my hair and lean against the doorway of the kitchen. Eyes watching my sister as she slowly spoons the chilli and eats her meal. Her eyes were almost dead. Life slowly draining out of them as she sighs to herself and closes her eyes. She's like a hollow shell. Angel nuzzles her arm, her little tail wagging as Amai gently runs her fingers through her fur. I'm just glad that Angel is her little ray of hope. Angel's always managed to pull us out of a slump.

As I head back into the kitchen, I check the time and nod to myself. I grab a Tupperware container from one of the cupboards to fill it with the chilli I had made for lunch. Ready to head to Keigo's agency and give him his lunch as I promised him I would. A faint smile plays on my lips as I fill it up and close the container before placing it on the side ready to take when I decide the leave the house.

Today is my first day off since I joined Modutusuka. Mitsuki, as agreed in my contract, allows me to have one day off a week (other than Sunday). This is to allow me to keep my head above water and to not stress me out. I still do work regardless. I have designs to complete by next Friday (which is more than doable) and I've already completed ten of them out of the twenty that I need to complete. So, as per our little tradition, I visit my fiancé during his lunch break to give him his lunch.

However, leaving my sister on her own is going to be a chore in itself. She hasn't really been on her own alone at the apartment. Rumi or Yu is always with her when Keigo or I can't be. She's never not on her own since Arata got arrested and I don't think she wants to be on her own. I presume it's to do with her not wanting someone to take advantage of her. However, it had to be done and I needed to give Keigo his dinner otherwise he would starve!

"Amai, I'm gonna head out," I call out, grabbing my sneakers and sitting on the couch as she gawks at me. Her eyes widening while I slide my shoes on, "I gotta give Kei his lunch,"

"Can't he come here so you can stay?" Amai asks softly, watching as I grab my purse and my coat with a small hum, "You can't leave me on my own... what if..."