Chapter 5

Smiling softly to myself, I walk down the street with Angel in tow. The beautiful fluffy white dog traipsing behind me, connected to me through her collar, her tail swishing high in the air as we weave through other pedestrians. A small smile on my lips as we're stopped on the odd occasion to receive compliments about Angel. The dog happily soaking up the love from newfound people. Her nose in the air as she struts by my side. Her tail wagging happily.

She was such a character!

Angel loved the weekend. Especially Saturdays. There didn't go a Saturday morning without Angel, bright eyed and bushy tailed, waiting excitedly by the door to go to our destination. Completely forgetting that I have to get showered, dressed and eat breakfast before I even think about leaving the house. Her bright eyes sparkling in anticipation when I grab her leash to take her out. Her tail wagging a lot more quicker than usual, whenever I click the leash in place and we begin our walk.

Every Saturday, or at least some point at the weekend, I give a couple hours of my time to an animal shelter. Volunteering to help sick, injured and abandoned animals. Wanting to give them love, affection and warmth after being neglected for so long. My quirk wasn't able to be transformed into a hero quirk, it wasn't compatible enough to save lives or fight crime. So I became a hero in a different way, in a different light. I saved animals and helped get them better. Helping them get rehoused in a loving home.

Rescuing animals was always rewarding. It was amazing to see them get better and I loved helping them. Watching them heal from past trauma. Helping them grow back into their own little personalities and characters was an achievement in itself. They were always so adorable and happy!

Angel was a rescue, after all.

Smiling gently, I open the door and let Angel teeter in before I follow after her. Waving toward the receptionist. I grab the pen from the desk and sign myself in, making sure all the details are filled out before heading down the hallway toward where all the animals are. Angel already yapping toward the other dogs playing fetch outside with one of the other volunteers. Her tail already wagging happily at the sight of the friends she made while she was healing from her malnutrition. Giggling, I unbuckle her leash and let her bound toward the other dogs, waving toward the volunteer before looking over the little pens for the animals.

Our animal centre held all kinds of animals in its care until they were rehomed. From fluffy little kittens to soppy little dogs. From cute bunny rabbits to chatty birds. From squeaky little guinea pigs to sweet little puppies. There were even snakes, lizards and other sorts of reptiles! Even a frog! We didn't prioritise one animal over the other, either, always making sure they're all loved and cared for equally. Never holding one above the other.

"Ah! (Y/n)! I was wondering when you'd be here," One of the vet nurses here, Yui (I think her name was), hums with a smile, holding her hands in front of her as she beckons me over, "Think you could heal this little fella's leg for me? It's just a deep cut, nothing too major,"

"Of course," I reply with a smile, following her through the halls and toward the veterinary office, my heart aching at the little Dalmatian puppy standing on the table with his leg holding a large gash, I coo gently at him and get to his level to make sure he realises I'm not a threat, before whispering gently, "Hey little guy, let us have a little look - see over your leg, hm?"

Slowly, ever so gently, I manoeuvre myself where his leg is in view. My heart hammering in my chest at the poor shaking of the dog, his leg holding a large gash. Hushing him gently, I gently mutter under my breath a small Latin spell. A healing mantra. My fingers spinning around the gash as I chant softly. The wound closing up gradually until it disappears. The dog's fur free of any scars. He slowly looks toward his leg before me, experimentally putting weight on that leg before barking happily and wagging his tail slightly.