Chapter 16 (Suspicious)

Chapter 16

Suspicious

*Derek*

I don't want to answer the door. Gavin shouldn't be here. He's never come here himself before. Is it because I'm late for work? How pissed could he be that I'm late for work on my second day? Wouldn't a warning suffice for a first offence?

He starts to pound on the door again and I tense. I don't want to answer the door. I don't want to let him into the one place that's supposed to be safe from him. If I let him in here, there's no place I can escape him anymore. He pounds against the door again and it shakes from the force.

"Derek answer the door!" Arabella yells from the hallway.

"Shit, shit, shit." I mutter to myself. I tuck the gun in the back of my jeans and cover it with my shirt. I take a deep breath before opening the door just wide enough to look outside.

"Gavin." I greet him. "What are you doing here?"

"You didn't answer my call." He says as he attempts to open the door more. When I don't let him, his brows furrow and his head tilts slightly to the side. "Is there a reason you won't let me in?" He asks.

"Arabella is getting changed." I lie smoothly.

"Hm. Well I could see how that could be an issue if this was a studio apartment. However, I know for a fact that this complex has a two to three bedroom limit." He forces the door open and comes inside.

"Damnit." I mutter to myself as I close the door behind him. I move towards the couch and lean against the back.

He stands in the middle of the room as he slowly looks over the apartment. My stomach twists as I watch him absorb every detail of the apartment. "This place is nice." He says. "Arabella picked this place, right? Why such a big apartment for just her?"

"She knew we would be living together." I explain. "Makes sense to get a larger place rather than move later."

"I guess." He shrugs. "Just seems like it would have been lonely in such a big place all by herself." I raise my brow trying to understand what he's saying. He notices and chuckles lightly. "Anyway," He takes a seat at the kitchen table. "Tell me why I had to send Jackson out on his own today." He leans back in the chair and it bothers me that he's getting comfortable.

"First tell me how you got in here." I say. "You needed to be buzzed in."

He doesn't answer right away. Instead he stares at me for a moment and I guess he's debating on whether to answer my question first or force me to answer his. "Your neighbors aren't very attentive when it comes to making sure outsiders don't slip in behind them." He replies lazily. "Anyone could stroll right in. Now my question. Why are you here instead of working?"

"I overslept." I shrug. "Sorry."

"Did you really? Or is this another one of your acts of defiance?"

"What are you-"

"Who was at the door?" Arabella asks somewhat breathily as she rushes from the hallway. She now wears a light grey pant suit. Her once unkempt hair now flows to her shoulders in controlled waves. She pauses as her eyes land on Gavin. "Oh." She says clearly startled. "Good morning Gavin."

"Good morning Arabella." He greets her with a large smile. "Nice to see you again." "You too. Derek and I were just talking about you."