Chapter 10 (Friends)

Chapter 10

Friends

*Arabella*

I hear the front door reopen as I rifle through the kitchen for something I can make for lunch. I turn to see Jackson alone, the smile from earlier still spread across his face. Clearly whatever Derek wanted to talk to him about wasn't bad, despite the tone of his voice.

I wait for Derek to enter behind Jackson, but he doesn't. It's just Jackson and me as he makes his way into the kitchen.

"Where's Derek?" I ask as he leans against the counter closest to me.

"He should be in any minute." Jackson replies with a dismissive wave of his hand. "So, how did you two meet? You've known each other since high school, right?"

"Yeah. I was his tutor." I smile at the memory. "At least I attempted to be. He wasn't easy to get along with back then."

"And now? I wouldn't say he's easy to get along with at all."

"He just takes some time to get used to. How long have you two known each other? Why am I just now learning about you?"

Before he can answer our attention is drawn to the front door opening. Derek finally walks in and immediately grabs the camping gear we left by the door.

"I'll put the stuff away." He says before disappearing into the hallway. I stare after him, confused about his behavior. Why did he take so long out in the hallway? What did they talk about out there? He invited Jackson here, yet he's completely separating himself. He's being rude, which is unlike him when it comes to his friends.

"What's with him?" I ask. "What did you guys talk about out there?"

"Just guy stuff." Jackson answers with a slight shrug. "You wouldn't be interested."

"I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't interested."

Derek returns empty handed and picks up some more supplies. I watch him silently as he barely gives us a glance before disappearing into the hallway again.

"Excuse me for a minute." I say before heading towards the hallway. I enter the hallway and find Derek putting away gear into the hallway closet. "Hey, what's wrong?" I ask him. He doesn't answer as he puts the last of the stuff away. "Don't you dare ignore me, Derek. Talk to me. Tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing is wrong." He says as he closes the closet doors. "I promise." He places a kiss on my cheek before walking past me into the living room. "Jackson!" He calls. "You like video games, right? Let's play."

Jackson joins Derek on the couch. He's handed the other controller and Derek turns on the game. I lean against the wall and watch them for a moment. Something is off but I'm not sure what it is. There's a slight tension in the air. I know it's not between Derek and me, and Jackson and I were getting along fine. That means the tension is between them, but why? Did they have an argument at some point? If so, why would Derek invite Jackson over?

"Ari, how about you go out and grab something for us to eat?" Derek suggests, never taking his eyes off the screen.

"Are you sure? I don't mind making something."

"I'm kind of craving a cheeseburger. Doesn't matter where it comes from."

"O-okay." I say a bit skeptically. "What would you like Jackson?"