Chapter 2 (Settling In)

Chapter 2

Settling In

*Derek*

            I hold Arabella's hand tightly as we head back to the apartment. Hateful glares bore into me like daggers as I try my best to ignore them. This town has always been so judgemental. They've always criticized before hearing the story. These people will never see me as anything more than a criminal. The only place I've seemed to fit in is prison.

            "Ow, ow." Arabella complains as she pulls her hand from mine. "You nearly broke my hand." She frowns down at her hand as she balls it into a fist and opens it wide again. "What's wrong?"

            "I'm sorry." I apologize, gently taking her hand and placing a kiss on the back of it. "My mind was somewhere else.

            "You've barely said a word since running into that guy earlier. Is that what's bothering you?"

            "No." I shake my head. I've already upset her by yelling at that guy before. I don't want to make things worse by telling her that I hate this town. She'd do anything for me, even moving out of this town. With her being our only source of income, I can't put the stress of moving on her. "I think I'm just a little hungry." I lie easily. Arabella narrows her eyes but doesn't question me.

            "Well, we're almost home." She places her hand back in mine and intertwines our fingers. "I'll make us some lunch." She gives me a small smile before pulling me down the path towards the apartment.

            Arabella unlocks the apartment door and I follow her inside. I pause at the sight of a tall, skinny man standing in our kitchen. He turns to face us with a large smile on his face. His grey and purple hair is styled neatly and thick black glasses rest on his nose. The pattern on his button up shirt hurts my eyes. The blue mug in his hand steams and the blue polish on his nails match perfectly.

            "Elliot!" Arabella exclaims, a mask of horror on her face. "What are you doing in my apartment?"

            "I wanted to meet your boy toy." The man says with a smile. "He's far cuter in person."

            "Are they here?" A woman says as she rushes from the hallway. Her long, wavy brown hair falls across her shoulders and down to her waist. She's short, about Arabella's height, but the black heels she wears make her slightly taller. Her low waist shorts and black crop top help reveal a diamond bow dangling from her belly button ring. "Holy, mother of...!" the girl trails off as she stares at me with wide eyes.

            "I know right." The man, Elliot, says to the strange woman as he places his mug on the counter. "So much cuter in person."

            "Definitely!" The woman says.

            "You too, Johanna?" Arabella asks. "How did you both get in here?"

            "I had a key made." Elliot says with a wave of his hand. He moves around the island in the center of the kitchen and walks towards us. "You were living here alone. I needed to be able to get in if you were ever in trouble. When Jo found out, she threatened to tell you and so I made one for her too."

            What the hell is going on? Who are these freaks and why are they in our apartment? Clearly Arabella knows them, but by the look on her face she seems slightly scared.

            "Derek." Arabella says with a sigh. "These are my best friends, Elliot and Johanna. Johanna and Elliot, this is Derek."

            "Nice to meet you." Elliot says with a smirk. "You're really muscular." He pokes my arm and I refrain from shoving him away. "It's no wonder Ari turned down all of those guys who threw themselves at her. You're far more good looking than any of them."