Chapter 5 (Repeat)

Chapter 5

Repeat

*Derek*

I wipe the tears from my eyes as I try to compose myself. I take a few deep breaths until I finally relax. I pull my phone from my pocket to see it's already after midnight. There are also three missed calls and a few unanswered texts from Arabella. I put the phone away, not ready to lie to her just yet, and get up. I leave the abandoned shop and head home.

Instead of getting a cab, I walk home to give me extra time to think. What am I going to tell Arabella? I'd planned on being home before she got back, but unfortunately this night had other plans. Perhaps saying I went for a walk would work, but if not I'd need a backup lie.

I wish I could just tell her the truth and save myself the worry. I wish I could tell her everything from the very beginning, but that would only put her in even greater danger. Gavin already hates her and would prefer if she was out of the picture. If I told her the truth she'd go straight to the police, despite my protests, and it would only piss Gavin off and put an even bigger target on her back. I can't bear to lose her. The only way I can guarantee her safety is if I find a way out of Gavin's grip.

Some time later I finally arrive home. I open the door quietly as I sneak inside. If I'm lucky, Arabella will already be in bed and I won't have to explain until tomorrow.

"Thank God!" Arabella exclaims, my hope immediately disappearing. I release a soft sigh before walking inside and pushing the door shut behind me. Arabella stands in the living room wearing pink pajama shorts and one of my t-shirts, her brows are furrowed with concern.

"Hey." I greet her casually, avoiding her eyes as she approaches me.

"Hey? Do you know what time it is? I've been calling and texting you for the past two hours. I was worried something happened to you." She tilts my head to the side as she looks me over for any scratches or bruises.

"I'm sorry." I say, letting her examine me. "I know I should have responded. I have no excuse."

"Where were you?" She finishes her examination. "I don't see any cuts or bruises. You're okay, right?"

"I'm fine." I reassure her, finally looking her in the eyes. The worry that's still in them makes my stomach clench. I really don't want to lie to her. I want more than anything to spill the truth right here and now, but I can't. Not if I want to keep her out of this mess. "I went for a walk." I lie smoothly. "It's late so I figured there'd be less people around."

Her brows furrow as she looks into my eyes searching for a tell. My heart races as I try not to crack. It's easy to lie to everyone but her. "Okay." She says with a slight nod of her head. "Just, please respond back to me next time. I worry about you, you know that."

"Yes, I know." I smile, running my fingers through her hair. A small smile finally appears, the worry finally passing. "Even though you shouldn't. You know I can take care of myself."

"I know." She takes my hand in hers as she suddenly avoids eye contact, and begins to play with my fingers. "I just don't want to lose you after just getting you back. I don't think I could handle that. Actually, I know that I can't handle that. Just the thought makes me anxious."

"Hey." I lift her chin so she'll look at me. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise. It's you and me forever, baby." The smile returns to her face as a small laugh escapes her lips. "Come on. Let's go to bed. You have work in a few hours." I intertwine our fingers before leading her to our room.

***

The sudden blaring of my phone wakes me. With a groan, I reach over to the nightstand and grab my phone. Too tired to open my eyes and check the caller ID, I simply answer to shut up the constant ringing.