Chapter 14 (Old Times)

Chapter 14

Old Times

*Derek*

I struggle to keep quiet as Jackson drives us to our selling location. I stare out the window at a house with assorted gnomes in the front garden and frown. This is the third time we've passed that house. Why is he circling? Earlier he was complaining about how behind schedule we are, and now he's wasting time circling the neighborhood.

"It's after nine and we've circled this area three times now." I say, finally breaking the silence. "What are you doing?"

"I'm making sure there are no cops around. Gavin mentioned that they're starting to sit in unmarked cars nowadays. Besides, we're supposed to circle the area once or twice anyway just in case the cops are around. For someone who isn't new to this, I thought you'd already know that. I guess you're as stupid I thought." He frowns as he sends a brief glare in my direction.

"Gavin always sent us to areas we knew well. That meant we knew all the cops hiding places. Either he no longer does that, or you're an idiot for not knowing your surroundings better."

Jackson scoffs, but doesn't reply. When he finally parks, it's in a parking lot at the center of four apartment buildings. Alley ways separate each of them. I get out and grab the black backpack we were given from the backseat. I follow him into one of the alleys and he snatches the bag from me once we're there.

"We have seven buyers lined up for today." He says, opening the bag and pulling out a slip of paper. "We have until five tonight to sell all of this, however I want to be finished and out of her by one."

"Why? That only gives us four hours. What if all the buyers don't show up by then?"

"They will if they want to get their fix." Jackson replies casually. "I deal with these customers on the daily. They know my schedule."

What's the rush? It's not like Gavin gives us a bonus for finishing ahead of schedule. He's too tight with his money to do that. So why not just stay put and relax until everything is sold?

"I'll handle the money we get." He adds, zipping up the bag and putting it to the side.

"Why?"

"Because I don't trust you, and I'm not going to let you get me killed."

"That goes both ways. You're the new guy here, not me."
"I'm the one Gavin put in charge. So, I get to handle the money."

"Jack?" A raspy voice sounds from the other end of the alley. Jackson and I both look up to see a skinny man wearing dirty clothes. His graying hair could use a decent cut.

"Yeah, Pauly." Jackson replies, grabbing the backpack and heading over to the man.

I heave a sigh as I lean against the brick wall. Of all the people to pair me with, Gavin didn't have a better option? He couldn't have moved some people around? Jackson and I are the worst possible pair. Partners are supposed to be able to watch each other's backs. I'm sure if Jackson or I were held at gunpoint, neither of us would even flinch to save the other.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I quickly pull it out, hoping it's a text from Ari. When I see Christine's name instead, I sigh with disappointment. I open her text and it reads:

Hope you have a good first day of work. Let's grab lunch one day. Love you.

That lunch won't be happening any time soon, if ever. After her comment during dinner last week drove a wedge between Arabella and me, she's the last person I'd like to see.