Chapter 13 (Detachment)

Chapter 13

Detachment

*Arabella*

After dinner we settle in the living room. Derek and I take the couch while Christine and Charles occupy the arm chairs. I enjoy a hot cup of tea while Christine and Charles enjoy a cup of coffee. Derek sits quietly with his arm draped across my shoulders. Though he seems to be somewhat paying attention now, he doesn't speak.

"So," Christine starts. "I've been wanting to bring this up all night, but I couldn't really ease it into conversation. I know I'll probably get my head chewed off for this, but I have to ask." My brow raises with curiosity. "I know you two are still very young, but have you discussed the possibility of having kids someday...soon?" She takes a sip of her coffee and looks at us over the rim expectantly.

Her question catches me off guard and I suddenly grow uneasy. Derek removes his arm and I glance at him to see him shift in his seat. Neither of us have brought up kids since that night in the kitchen. After stupidly revealing my fantasy of having three kids to him, his silent response was loud and clear.

"It's something we've discussed very briefly." I reply. "We haven't really come to an agreement."

"An agreement?" I sip my tea to avoid elaborating and thankfully it works. "Well you have plenty of time to figure everything out. Just don't wait too long okay? I'd like to be young enough to play with my grandkids." She laughs lightly.

Derek clears his throat and Charles narrows his eyes at us. Despite not revealing anything, I suddenly feel like an open book. Like he can see right through our awkwardness.

"Do you two even want kids?" Charles asks skeptically.

"What?" Christine asks as if his question is absurd. "Don't be silly Charles. Arabella loves kids. She's a youth counselor, remember? There's no way they don't want kids."

"Well by the way they're fidgeting..."

"You're just feeling a little pressured right? I'm sorry. I don't mean to pressure you. Take your time. Arabella I'm sure you want to finish school first, and you two probably want to get through a wedding first before focusing..."

"Whoa, whoa." Derek finally speaks, cutting Christine off. "What the hell? Have you planned our entire future for us? No one said anything about getting married or having kids. And even if we wanted to, it's none of your business. Maybe Arabella and I just want it to be the two of us. Honestly, marriage is overrated, and kids just cost a lot of money and get in the way. We're fine with the way things are for now."

My heart sinks at his words. I already knew we weren't on the same page when it comes to kids, but I at least thought we were in sync on getting married someday. So far all I feel is disappointment when I picture our future together. Neither of us want the same things and that makes me nervous.

"But I thought..." Christine trails off, sounding dumbfounded.

"You know what, I think it's time for us to head out." I say, trying my best to keep the pain from my voice. "Thanks for having us. Dinner was amazing."

"We're sorry Arabella." Charles apologizes as he rubs soothing circles on Christine's back. "We didn't mean to..." He pauses. "You don't have to go. Stay and have another cup of tea."

"Thanks, but it's getting late and I have work in the morning. I hope we can do this again soon." I smile.

Derek wordlessly stands from his seat and follows me out the door. I can feel his gaze boring into me as we walk to the car.