Chapter 6 (Practice)

Chapter 6

Practice

*Derek*

I watch as Mr. Gilinsky looks over my resume, his expression unreadable. A bad feeling settles in the pit of my stomach as I already feel this interview going badly.

"Mr. Knight, I see that your resume is lacking in almost every way possible." Mr. Gilinsky finally says. "You've acquired your GED, and you have a degree in engineering. That's great, but you've never been previously employed so you have no references. Then there's also the problem of your record." An image of Frank suddenly appears in my mind and I suddenly feel queasy. "It says you were incarcerated for involuntary manslaughter. Because this job obviously requires the use of various tools, this raises my concern. What if you come here while having a bad day, and injure another employee due to your lack of emotional control."

He leans back in his chair and folds his hands as he examines me with a raised brow. What does he want me to say? My record already speaks for me. Nothing I say will change the assumptions he's already created about me. The record is, and will always be, the deciding factor.

"My emotional control is perfectly fine." I defend myself, despite losing all hope for getting the job. "That criminal act was the result of something that went far deeper than an argument or a bad day. One terrible act doesn't define me. We all make mistakes."

"Even so, Mr. Knight." He sighs with a shake of his head as he sits up in his chair. "I can't risk my employees or my company. You don't have prior work experience, you don't have references, and your record leads me to believe you're too big of a risk. I'm sorry, but I can't give you the job." He gives me an apologetic look as he stands from his chair and extends his hand towards me. I stand and force a smile as I shake his hand. "Good luck." He says. I nod before leaving his office.

I walk down the hallway feeling more and more frustrated with each step. I loosen the tie around my neck as it suddenly becomes warm in here. This is the third time I'll have to give Arabella bad news. This will be the third time she'll force a smile and tell me to keep trying. It's been a week since I've been released from prison. I should have a job by now and be helping Arabella support us. Instead I'm turning into the good-for-nothing boyfriend sitting at home on the couch. One step closer to becoming Frank.

The temperature in the building suddenly becomes stifling and I fumble with the tie around my neck before eventually ripping it off. I look at the grey tie in my hands and am hit with a wave of anger. All I do is waste my time wearing this stiff suit and this ugly tie trying to make myself appear like the ideal employee. It pisses me off that for the rest of my life, my record will be the deciding factor for everything. My entire life is completely screwed.

***

I finally arrive home and change out of my suit into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I run my hand through my neatly styled hair a few times before it returns to it's usual naturally dishevelled look. The anger I was feeling before slowly disappears as I recognize my normal self. The clean cut look has never suited me.

I head into the kitchen and start making a snack for John. It's already after three, which means he's out of school and on his way here. I shouldn't be this nervous about a little kid coming over, but all I can think about it screwing up somehow. What if I say something that makes him cry or accidentally let him get hurt. I can only imagine Arabella's reaction if I make her baby brother cry.

I just finish making John's PB&J sandwich when the buzzer sounds, announcing John's arrival. My heart skips as my nerves multiply. I take a deep breath before moving towards the door and letting him in.