Chapter 7 (Get Away) Part 1

Chapter 7

Get Away

*Arabella*

I wake as I roll over onto my back and stare up at the ceiling. Today Derek and I are supposed to be leaving for our camping trip. It's just overnight and we'll finally have the chance to spend time together without the worry of distractions.

I rest my hand on my stomach as butterflies suddenly appear. I'm nervous. It feels like my first day with him all over again. We've been together for five years, and yet lately we've felt more like acquaintances than anything else. Until now, I hadn't realized how five years of separation and controlled visits took its toll on our relationship. The first few days of his return were filled with everything we were forced to hold back during visits. Unfortunately, life has decided to step in again and take control. I spend most of my time working and sleeping, and Derek has started to keep secrets again. I never imagined our relationship would weaken like this now that we're adults. Things were somehow simpler in high school.

I roll over again, this time stopping on my side, as I stare at Derek's sleeping face. His deep brown hair is a mess all over his head, a few longer locks in the front hanging down in his face. Stubble surrounds his jaw and upper lip, giving him a rugged look. I examine his face, taking in every detail from the faint freckles on his nose to the small scar above his brow. He's beautiful, and he's mine. I was lucky to get him, but now it's time for me to work to keep him.

"Why are you being creepy?" Derek mumbles, the sudden sound of his voice breaking me from my thoughts.

"Hm?" I ask as I get over the sudden shock.

"You're staring at me like a creeper." He explains. His eyes open and I'm met with their beautiful blue-green color. "You're staring so hard it woke me up. What do you want?"

"Can't I just admire my handsome boyfriend?" I smile as I reach over to brush the locks of hair from his face.

"Only when he's not asleep." He roles over so that his back is to me. "Wake me in ten minutes." He says before pulling the blanket over his head.

The smile on my face grows as I sit up and lean my weight on him. I poke him through the blanket as he groans and wiggles under my weight, trying to get me off.

"We have a lot to do today." I remind him. "You have to get up."

"Ugh." He groans. "Why are you being so annoying this morning?"

"You asked for a full day of my attention, so that's what you're getting. Now get up." I shake him and with a sigh he finally rolls over onto his back. He pulls the blanket down just enough to reveal his eyes. I crawl over him until I straddle his waist.

"Would ten minutes really have made a difference?" He mumbles.

"Yes. Not only do we have to take John back home, but we have to buy camping gear. Not to mention it's a two-hour drive to the camping ground."

"Okay, fine." He grumbles. "I'll get up."

"Thank you." I lean down and place a kiss on his forehead before climbing off him. He slowly sits up and climbs out of bed. He stretches, cracking bones in the process before trudging towards the bathroom.

"You're lucky you're so damn cute." He mumbles as he passes by.

"I love you too." I say with a smile before heading across the hall to wake up John. I knock softly, and John's soft voice immediately tells me to enter. "Morning." I say as I open the door. He sits on the bed, already dressed in his clothes from yesterday, as he plays a videogame.