Chapter 17 (Thoughts)

Chapter 17

Thoughts

*Derek*

I finally arrive home a little after 2:30. I move through the apartment quietly as I return my gun to the top shelf of the hallway closet along with the bag full of Gavin's money. Feeling disgusting from being in so many alleys, I decide to take a shower before climbing in bed. The shower is quick, and the hot water only makes my exhaustion worse. I dry off quickly and throw on a pair of sweats before quietly climbing into bed.

Arabella stirs a little as I climb under the covers and I pause, afraid I've woken her. When she settles, I climb all the way in and pull the covers over me. I wrap my arm around Arabella, and she instantly settles into the curve of my body. It's not long after my head hits the pillow that I fall asleep.

It's too soon when the alarm goes off, signaling that it's time to get up and get ready for work. I groan as I reach over and hit the snooze button. My body feels weighed down with exhaustion. Even if I wanted to get up, it feels like I can't. How the hell does Gavin expect me to come in today?

"Derek." Arabella whispers. I feel her soft touch against my cheek. "It's time to get up."

"I can't." I mumble. "Too tired."

"I'll make some coffee." She replies.

I feel the bed dip just slightly as she gets up. I fall back asleep before I hear her leave the room.

"Derek." Arabella says gently. I wake only halfway at her voice. "I made some coffee. There's espresso in it." I open my eyes slightly to see her sitting on the edge of the bed, holding out a blue mug towards me. She smiles softly, but I can see the concern in her eyes.

"Thanks." I say, forcing myself to sit up and take the coffee.

"What time did you get in?" She asks as she reaches over and fixes a piece of my hair.

"Some time after 2:30."

"What? Gavin still expects you to come in? That's absurd. You have to call out."

"I can't. I'll be fired." I'll be much worse than fired. Now I'm convinced Gavin's incentive for making sure I'd show up today was allowing me to hold his money for him. He's never asked anyone to do that. However, I'm not sure why he didn't trust I'd show up today of my own will. "I'll be fine." I reassure her. "The coffee is already working." She doesn't look convinced as she frowns at me. "I promise I'm okay." I lean over and place a quick kiss on her cheek before setting the coffee aside and getting up to get ready.

"Derek, you're making me worried again."

"That's because you're a professional worrier." I joke with a smile. She doesn't smile back. "I swear I'm fine." I try reassuring her again. "You have a session at 8:00 right? You should get going."

She doesn't move right away. She sits quietly and watches for a moment before finally getting up. She gives me a gentle kiss before fixing my hair again.

"Take it easy today, okay?" She says. "And see if you can come home early."

"Okay." I agree to make her feel better. "Have a good day at work."

Once Arabella leaves, I get ready quickly. I throw on a pair of dark jeans and a black t-shirt before running my fingers through my hair until it looks decent. I grab my gun and Gavin's cash from the hall closet and head out, having only a few minutes left before I'm late.

When I arrive at the hideout, I immediately head to Gavin's office. Jackson, who stands talking to a few other guys, mutters something as I walk by, but I decide to ignore him for now and deal with him later. I enter Gavin's office without knocking and find him sitting behind his desk smoking a cigar as he reads through the papers on top his desk.