CHAPTER SIXTEEN

She walks out of the doctor's office first, with Yoongi behind her. the now familiar and empty waiting room smells of fresh flowers as a big arrangement sits on the coffee table in the middle of the neat space.
the pair stand there in awkward silence for a moment before realizing the young receptionist's gaze on them.
Soojin smiles at her gratefully before heading for the door, and he follows.

either the elevator has gotten slower since the last time they were here or just that she's become impatient in his presence.
as the mirrored door slides shot, she looks up and for what feels like the first time that evening she locks eyes with his reflection staring back at her.

before when she had called him to join her on the appointment he sounded very nervous and in a rush to get there, and for that reason she expects him to be the same right now, but in flesh he seems too apathetic and it sends a shiver down her spine. she drops her gaze to the floor but feels his head turn in her direction.

Yoongi thoughtfully looks her up and down. she seems fine. better than the last time he saw her. her then teary wet cheeks, now perky and pink. she wears a loose black dress that comes down to her knees and a long pastel blue over coat which seems like an out of character choice of color for her and a pair of white sneakers. but over all she seems fine and it's the more important aspect to him.

once they step out of the elevator, he walks passed her and she feels a sting of rejection in the pit of her stomach only to see him push the door open for her and stand there as she walks outside. the familiar feeling of being in his care makes her heart warm for a moment.

"Mark!" Soojin's face lights up to see the gaurd after a while, and the smile that comes with it, makes Yoongi both happy and envious at the same time.

"Ms Lee." He nods politely before opening the car door.

Soojin stands there hesitantly, and Yoongi realizes but doesn't force her to step in. he hangs back, just hoping that she would. but after only a second she takes the handle and glides in the backseat. he follows after.

minutes pass and they finally reach the main street, the car comes to a halt at a stop sign and Mark looks at the stranged couple, each seated at one end, in his rear view mirror "where to?"

the simple question takes them both by surprise and they turn to each other with slightly shocked expressions. Yoongi doesn't believe in fate or signs or whatever that is. he has this whole theory that whatever happens to you is your own doing and you have to work hard for what you want. yet in that moment he feels so helpless that he can't help himself but to blindly believe whatever she says next is going to determine their fate.

Soojin can see the fear in his eyes, something she's rarely seen there since he's always kept to himself and has tried to be strong for the both of them. and the thought starts to trick her mind into giving him a little credit but she quickly breaks eye contact.

"go home Mark" she says to the gaurd in the driver's seat before turning back to Yoongi who's still got his eyes on her. his heart hammers in his chest for a moment, his expression softens and one side of his mouth has weakly turns up in a faint smile.

"i need to grab some clothes. my clothes are starting to feel a little stuffy" she puts her hand on her stomach, and though it's not obvious to him, he believes she might be feeling uncomfortable so he nods with a sad smile, looking as defeated as ever.

Soojin steps inside the house and at first look finds everything the same way it was before she left. only when she walks further in and drops her bag on the couch, the emptiness of bottles of alcohol that used to sit fully on the trays around the house catches her attention.