CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

"are you okay?"

Jungkook asks hanging his head low to take a look at her as she bends against her knees, trying to catch her breath.

"yeah i'm-" she winces again like a few minutes before as they were walking down the hill.

"i think...my water just broke?" she runs a hand over her baggy pants and upon seeing the bloody print on her fingers, a shadow of panic escapes her face.

"i'll wait, just go get the car" she lets out a series of quick short breaths, resting her weight on a nearby tree.
"i'm not sure if i can get this far with a car" and without any hesitation he slings his arm under her knees and lifts her up in one swift motion. after a few minutes of careful jogging he sets her down as they reach the car.

once they're on the road back to the city, she takes her phone out and dials Yoongi's number, after a couple of beeps he answers.

"hello?"
"hhey...don't freak out..but we're going to the hhospital" she says through a shaky breath.
"what? what happened?" he sounds alarmed.
"just get the bags and meet us there"

"Soojin! are you okay?" he almost yells.
"i think i'm having contractions. i'm not sure yet" she answers calmly.
"just the bags?" he asks and she can hear the ruffling sound of objects over the line.
"yea-hhhh" she takes in a sharp gasp as an increasing wave of pain hits her stomach.
"how far are you?" he asks and she turns to Jungkook who's got his eyes fixed on the road "twenty, thirty minutes?" he replies anxiously.

"what? why are you so far?" Yoongi yells over the line again. she glances back at Jungkook who's starting to look a little hasty.

"well you know how the doctor advised me to go on walks? well we went, but so many people recognized us, so we went to a less crowded hill a little outside the city...it was my idea" she explains but there's only silence for a few seconds until he speaks again "just...be careful..."

she can hear the dread in his voice so she tries to keep her own as steady as she can "i will...just don't worry...i'll see you in a bit"

she hangs up before calling her doctor to inform her of the situation. she quickly guides her to focus all her attention on easing the pain through practiced breaths. as time passes in silence, closing her eyes she rests her head against the car seat and he thinks she seems to be calming down

"we're close" Jungkook says as he turns in the street that leads to the hospital, but she doesn't respond.

"Soojin?!" he frantically glances back and forth between her and the road. her face is pale and her bangs stick to her perspired skin. a quiet sigh leaves her mouth and her eyes flicker open just as he enters the hospital parking lot. but that's the last thing she sees before her vision goes dark.

•••

"yoongi..."

his half asleep mind can't detect if it's her real voice this time or just the ongoing hallucination he keeps hearing over the past few hours as he's been resting his head on the edge of the bed, next to her injected hand. he slightly moves his head and the muscles in his neck painfully tighten.

"yoongi..."

just as he's about to get up and shake the feeling off, a set of cold fingers slowly run between his hair. a shiver spreads through his body causing the hairs on his skin to stand.

he looks up unsure and a little scared. a faint smile brights up her inanimate face as she blinks slowly, clearly struggling to keep her eyes open. his face is the saddest she's ever seen and it's harder than the physical pain to bear with.