CHAPTER TWENTY

He takes a seat next to her. the awkwardness in the air grows as moments go by unspoken. just the occasional grumble of the sky or the splashing sound of rain on the stone floor in front of them keeps the momentum going.

"i love the rain"

Her voice snaps his head in her direction. he looks a little fazed out and uneasy before nodding and turning his gaze back to the rain "why?"

"what's there to not like about it?" she gestures to the fresh air, the wet plants the shade, and almost everything around them "it cleans everything" holding one knee close to her chest she turns to him with a sad smile "it restarts everything"

Catching her tone, Namjoon returns the smile with his own weak one. he bends forward resting his elbows on top of his knees "i thought it was because of that...night" he gives her a knowing look and she laughs.

"that's definitely on top of the list" she stands up and walks closer to the edge of the ceiling. extending her hand under the rain and it immediately starts dripping from between her fingers.

"funny how things work out, if things hadn't gone that way that night..." he lets out a single huff of air, she's not sure if it was a laugh or just out of frustration.

"what do you mean?" she asks.

"you know? that he wasn't originally gonna do it that night?" he replies confidently as if reminding her of a shared memory, but her honest shocked face kicks the air out of his lungs. she takes an unsure step towards him, her eyes widened and her mouth slightly agape "what?" she asks quietly.

Namjoon stands up immediately and waves his hand in front of his chest "i thought you knew" he says a hint of panic in his voice.
"i didn't" she says through a laugh.
"oh my god. please don't tell him i told you this" his face falls apologetically yet she can't help but laugh wholeheartedly, her shoulders shaking, and slowly he joins her before they return to their seats.

"you gotta tell me the whole thing" she turns to him with a giddy smile and he seems a little more comfortable than before "hell no. he's gonna kill me"

"c'mon. you can't leave it at that" she playfully slaps his shoulder giving him a firm look. Namjoon shakes his head, his dimple showing on the side of his cheek, a simple evidence to whenever he tries to keep a smile in and it somehow warms her heart "fine, but going into it, know that it was not my fault"
she leans back, remembering that night as Namjoon recalls his own version.

"Yoongi, are you ever gonna open up?" Namjoon waits for a reply but no sound comes from the other side of the door "just come fetch your keys back...if you ever decide to leave...ever" he knocks the door a couple more times but after getting no answers for the second time that night he retreats back to his own studio where Jungkook awaits him nervously.
"what happened hyung?" he asks.
"he's still not answering" he sounds frustrated.

"do you think they had a fight?" the younger questions cautiously, bringing two fingers to his lips, eyes wide, like he knows something.
"i don't think so" Namjoon looks at his bewildered face the same question kind of forming in his mind "why would you say that?"

He thinks through what he's about to say, running his thumb through his knuckles, as if the answer is written in braille on the back of it.
"well we had lunch today at rehearsal and i asked her about Yoongi hyung, she said they haven't seen each other in a week" he looks genuinely concerned when he says that "why would they not see each other? they live in the same house" he holds out his hands in utter confusion.

Namjoon crouches next to the wooden table and grabs the empty paper bowls of noodles and shoves them inside each other "well he's been here the whole week, and she's been preparing for her show. it's possible if they haven't seen each other" he says that to reassure the younger but he's not so convinced himself.