CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

"ugh! why is this so heavy?" Hoseok grunts as he sets the boxes on top of the counter.
"what's inside?" Namjoon puts the knife in his hand down and opens one of the boxes "hhh! he's gonna love these" he gasps and Hoseok smiles triumphantly.

"i know! that's why i got them" he takes the containings out one by one setting them next to one another.
"but...is He?" Namjoon looks over the small instruments thoughtfully "Hoseok i hope you know what you're doing"

the older just rolls his eyes and continues to unpack the box but Namjoon doesn't give up on his worries "what if he gets mad?"

"he won't" Hoseok puts the toy guitar down and turns to him "don't you see? he needs this more than the kid" and without another word he moves on to the next box.
Namjoon sighs and after a moment of hesitation joins him in unloading the stuff.
"where are they by the way? how'd you know the house was empty?"

"they go to jinhae each year, remember? they'll probably be back before night"

realization washing over him he nods before going back to preparing the food.
"so are you sure about Jimin?" Namjoon asks skeptically "you're doing too much all at the same time Hoseo-"
"oh my god Namjoon, just shut up and trust me on this"
as if on cue the doorbell rings and Hoseok runs to get it.

"hi! i'm so sorry if i'm late" Jimin walks in with bags of groceries and one beautifully wrapped in yellow paper gift.
"where's jungkook?" Hoseok asks taking the bags off of his hands.
"they said they're close"
"they?" Namjoon asks from the kitchen.
"yeah him and Taehyung" Jimin answers casually before closing the door.

"hyung hyung..should i put the toys in his room? or just out here on the table?" Jungkook asks from the living room, grabbing a handful of the toys.
"Taehyung! can you put them on the table, next to the balloons? Jungkook i need you on the steaks" Hoseok gives out orders and the young men follow. they decorate the living room with blue and yellow balloons as his favorite colors. laying out the toys for him alongside a small portioned strawberry cake. hours goes by quickly and sun sets in the sky gradually. by the time the beeping sound of the password comes from the door, they're all seated in the living room quietly.

"the moon is a big star" Yoongi opens the door and Yongsun walks in backwards, keeping his eyes fixed on his dad "like the small ones?"
"yeah like the small on-"
"SURPRISE!!!" they all cheer and the little boy flinches, instinctively grabbing onto Yoongi's leg as he's also frozen in place.
but quickly his little face lights up at the sight of the familiar faces and specially the glittering balloons.

"Happy birthday Yongsunnie!" Hoseok crouches down with a bright smile and the little boy instantly runs into his arms without anymore questions. he looks extra soft in his puffy white jacket, a pair of mustard brown overalls and a cream sweater underneath.
"it's my birthday daddy! look! look!" he excitedly points to the decorations the cake and the toys.

"yeah baby i- i see that..." Yoongi's cold and confused reply spreads a nervous vibe around the group as none of them proceed to say anything further. he just stares at the floor before walking away to his room and closing the door behind him with a loud bang.
"what...happened?" Taehyung whispers to Jungkook with an awkward face and he whispers back in his ear.
Namjoon clenches his jaw and throws Hoseok a knowing look.

"is daddy mad?" Yongsun asks with a look of sadness and confusion, making their eyes go wide.
"no! no! not at all sweetie! he just went to change his clothes. now why don't you look at your new toys with uncle Joonie, i'll go help him and we'll be right back okay?" Hoseok pecks his cheek and hands him to the other carefully, before walking to the bedroom.

"yoongi?" feeling a little scared but more concerned he knocks before walking in. Yoongi turns towards him from where he stands by the window. a look of furry on his reddened face.
"you had no right Hoseok. this is too far" his voice comes out a shaky whisper as he tries to contain himself.
"how? how is it too far?" the younger whispers in response too.
"it's too soon, there's still so much for him to understand"