A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes I

"what could've been" is one thing that comes to mind when something is lost in an uncontrollable way. when no one could've predicted or prevented it, it becomes "what could've been"

"he kept reaching for the guitar on the couch. not once or twice but constantly" his eyes are wide and his voice is hushed but filled with excitement as he changes into his navy blue checkered pajama pants.

she laughs and puts the book down in her lap "you weren't this excited when he started walking"

Yoongi rolls his eyes as he folds his clothes and sets them inside the drawer "it's a big deal and you know it" he says as he closes the bathroom door, turns the lights off and walks back to check the baby monitor on the nightstand to his side "you're just salty cause piano is your instrument of choice"

she can't help but laugh again as he gets on the bed next to her. she pushes the cover aside with a smile and he automatically leans back, letting her embrace him completely. she puts the book away and rests her head back against the bed.

her tone is meaningful yet a little sad when she speaks "it used to be your instrument of choice too"
"it still is" his reply is sharp and immediate. his body stiffs a little like he was insulted. but it quickly goes away as she slides her hand inside the collar of his shirt. gently grazing her fingers over his chest, his heartbeat pulsing under her palm.

"tell me what you're thinking"
she asks running her fingers inside his thick black hair and he leans his head back into her chest.

"that i just wanna go to sleep" his deep voice is faint like his pale skin, his lashes parted beautifully across his closed lids as she looks at him from above.

"then just go to sleep" she whispers, a single breath leaving her mouth in a laugh and tickling his hair. He sighs, his chest falling and rising heavily under her palm.

"aren't i already?" he asks sadly.

she can hear a hint of spite in his voice. like he's sarcastically asking something he already knows the answer to. it's not his fault. it's just how things are. these moments are fragile and never last long.
"i can be here as long as you like but-"

he abruptly cuts her off and turns around "don't"

"but...outside that door, he needs you.." she continues regardless of the heartbreaking expression on his face. she cups his cheek and leans in closer "..more than you need me"

He can feel her familiar warmth spread through his body as her lips lightly graze over his. he closes his eyes shut, savoring every last bit of it. when the moment is over, he grunts dramatically and pulls a pillow over his head.

•••

the late morning hour is dark and the weather is cold, as grey clouds hang over the city sky mercilessly. Yoongi stands behind the tall glass windows of the office that used to be his. he pushes his hands inside the pockets of his long black coat, wondering if things would be different right now, if he had made other choices back then.

"Mr Min"

He turns around to see the new CEO walk inside the room. over the past three years the middle aged man, dressed in a finely tailored grey suit has proven to be nothing but trustworthy, considering and talented when it comes to business. giving Yoongi no doubt that he's caught out for the job. yet as he stands back there, with the whole city under his feet, he can feel that familiar passion rush through his veins again.

"please sit down, this is practically your office" the older man gives him a welcoming smile as he takes a seat across from him on the couch.

"how's that little hell raiser of yours?" he harmlessly jokes and Yoongi cracks a soft smile.
"he's good. he just turned four" he takes his hands out of his pockets and scoots closer to the edge of the seat "Mr Shin, i'm planning to comeback"

The smile from the man's face momentarily fades and takes its place to a look of shock. but soon he shakes it off and straightens the edges of his jacket "Mr Min are you sure?"

"yes" his tone is steady and his expression solid.

the man looks a little tongue tied and for a second Yoongi questions himself, thinking this might not have been a good idea before the older man breaks into a huge grin.
"this is wonderful Mr Min"

relieved Yoongi leans back a little "really? you seemed a little unsure"

"no..not at all i'm truly happy for you" he waves his hands and thoughtfully pauses for a moment "it's just, for a while i was- we, we were a little worried about you. but i'm really glad you've chosen to take on the role once again" he stands up and extends a hand.

Yoongi looks at him hesitantly. this is the moment he's circled his life for three years to get back to. but he finally stands up and shakes the man's hand with a grateful look.

"i hope you'll stay and guide me back Mr Shin. i trust you"

"of course. of course i would" he bows his head politely and gestures towards the desk "let's get to it then"

Yoongi looks at the chair, the desk, the equipment on top of it. the whole room is still the same and it brings up memories he doesn't dig up quite often anymore. he turns back to the man and offers him an apologetic look.
"if you don't mind i'll comeback tomorrow. i have to be somewhere right now"

•••

"do you want hotdogs with your noodles ? or eggs?"
Yoongi looks in the fridge and waits for his answer but he doesn't reply. he looks at him and finds him completely focused on his painting as he sits on top of the dining table, sticking his tongue out and aggressively swiping the pencil over the page.

"Yongsun, choose one" he patiently waits for his answer and he finally looks up "eggs".

Yoongi raises his brows at him and after a moment his small round cheeks squish up in a smile and he clasps his hands together "eggs please"

Yoongi can't help but laugh as he walks to the stove to prepare his side dish. he occasionally steals a glance at him, making sure he's not sitting close to the edge. after he's finished plating their food individually, he sits him down on a chair and sets his bowl down in front of him. Yongsun quickly grabs his training chopsticks and starts trying to eat on his own. he splashes the soup everywhere and barely grabs anything. as much as he wants to help, Yoongi lets him figure it out on his own as he eats his own food, and soon enough after a few more tries he collects a small amount of noodles on the sticks and happily brings it to his lips.

once he's put the dishes away, he turns around to see him back on top of the paintings again. he takes a seat in font of him and looks closer at the drawing. the shapes are dislocated but he can make some human forms like eyes and hands out of them.

"who's this?" Yoongi points to a seemingly tall shape.
"that's uncle Joonie" he points at the shape then to the other ones next to it "that's uncle Hoseokie, Jungkookie, and Sunny"

"hmm that's beautiful" Yoongi grabs a pencil and starts drawing on a piece of paper, but still scanning every line the boy adds to the page. wondering how he sees him. Yongsun grabs a clean sheet and lays on his stomach across the table. he starts filling the whole page with yellow lines.
"what's this?"
"it's Jiminnie's hair" Yongsun giggles and Yoongi can feel his heart drop at the reply. realizing he's noticed Jimin and his details. thinking to himself that who wouldn't!
"Jiminnie's nice, right?" Yoongi asks carefully, not showing any sign of favor in his voice to get an honest reply.

"yes i like Jiminnie. he got me the books" he suddenly gets up trying to point at the books sitting on the living room coffee table, he whirls around so fast he staggers back a little. Yoongi instinctively grabs him with both hands to steady him.

"Careful!!" his voice is a little loud and Yongsun flinches in his place, but Yoongi quickly starts rubbing his back and brings his voice low and soothing "i saw the books, we can read them at night"

"yay" and as if nothing happened, he goes back to his sketching. Yoongi looks over the papers and after a good minute of searching he looks up with a confused frown.
"you drew everyone. where am i?"

Yongsun giggles and points to Yoongi with his pencil "you're here daddy, don't be silly"
Yoongi tries to contain his frown seriously but can't hold his laughter back.
"you're getting smart on me now huh?" he takes the pencil away and picks him up over his shoulder, tickling him as he laughs.