Chapter 8

Lydia:18 weeks Amber: 14 weeks

Lydia's POV

"She basically said that she and the baby have had no medical attention and they won't have any when the baby is born. She's not getting an ultrasound until next month. You've had like five this month." Luke rested his head against the locker next to mine. We are going to try to be friends. Nothings worse then parents who hate each other. We want better for our baby.

"Maybe you could talk to your mom and dad. See if there's something you can do as the father. Legally you need to protect the baby." 

"Babies?" I slammed my locker looking at him sternly.

"The one in me is well protected. Focus on the illegitimate one."

"We're not married." He scrunched his nose. Pretty peeved by my comment.

"Were you not going to propose at our graduation party in June?" Luke's eyes went wide with a look that told me he was actually shocked to know that i knew. "Here's a tip. If you want a secret kept, make sure that Calum isn't your only secret keeper."

"I'm going to kill him. Right after i deal with Amber."

"You're not dealing with Amber. It's not her fault that she can't afford it. Talk to your mom and dad when you get home."

"My mom has barely looked at me since they found out. They won't listen to me."

"I know your mom. She loves you guys more then anything in this world. She will listen if you just make it clear to her that you're scared about your baby."

"I'm not scared. I'm concerned." I rolled my eyes at him. 

"Same thing." I sighed looking towards the admin office at the end of the hall. Our school offers a daycare center for teen mom, like that's how you avoid teen pregnancies, and my mom told me to see if i could get a spot now that i know im keeping it. Im dreading it. "I have to get out baby into the daycare. Do you want me to ask for Amber too?" I need to be nice to him if this whole friends thing is meant to work. 

"No. I don't even know if she's keeping hers."

"Well that's something you need to figure out and i can't help you with that." I squeezed my book to my chest. "Wish me luck."

"I can go with you."

"No. I need to talk about my home study in March and April anyway. Have to graduate with you guys right?"

"Of course."

~~~~~~~

The woman typed vigorously on her keyboard. How much information do you need to put in to know how many spots would be open in May? I'm the only girl pregnant this year that would need the program and it's only for two months. Well i'm not the only one. The woman looked nice enough. Her curls were up in a bun and she looked about my great aunt Cecille's age except her skin didn't look like she had as many shots in her forehead. Still, a very beautiful and kind looking woman.  Three babies were in cribs behind a glass door behind her. A sign reading 'SHHHHH WE'RE SLEEPING' with a picture of a sleeping baby was plastered on the glass. The woman looked up then down to her computer again. "Sex?" 

"Excuse me?" I wasn't completely concentrated on her words because all i could think about was Luke dropping off two babies. 

"The baby. Boy or Girl?"

"I'm not sure. We find out next week." I said in a sort of whisper. I didn't even realize how nervous i was to actually set up a spot for the baby. It's getting real.