Chapter 9

Lydia:19 weeks Amber: 15 weeks

Lydia's POV

"I think my mom cried when your mom called. Like a baby." Luke laughed leaning against the hood of his car. Our mom's might be getting along but my mom still doesn't want anything to do with Luke. He's not allowed in the house yet and she also doesn't know he's coming to this appointment today. I guess she just assumed i would call after.

"I wouldn't be surprised. It would take an atomic bomb to separate them forever." I thought of a good comeback that would know him straight on his ass. To my mom, this was like an atomic bomb. Her daughter was cheated on and had fallen pregnant. Luke did them both. "Maybe this isn't the best idea." He saw the shadow of my mom coming down the stairs from our hall window. She's not going to be happy.

"Don't let her push you away from this. It's your baby too." I tried to be comforting to him but right now i just have the overwhelming feeling that i need to cry. Or puke. Those are typically my two main bodily functions lately. "I want you there." I said without really thinking of it.

"Well if you really do.."

"What is this?" Luke and i both looked over to my front door quickly. My mom's face was stuck in an expression of anger. She knew this was coming.

"Mom let me explain."

"He has been banned from this house." My mom didn't even look in his direction as she walked past us to the other exit of our driveway. I groaned following her.

"He wants to be here. He wants to see his baby."

"Great. He can call his tramp. You'll be a mother and i am not going to let him pull you into being a step-mother too."

"So you would rather me be a single mother?" She opened the passenger door waiting for me but i had caught her by surprise with my tone. "Struggling through school when he wanted to be here. It costs $11,000 on average for me to give birth. Just to lay there and the cost of raising a child for eighteen years is a over a million dollars and that's without college tuition. You expect me to be able to raise my child off of an English degree? Publishing houses don't hire editors every day and i can't just stop after three generations of Duke." I knew i would get her off of statistics. It would definitely be hard without him. She rolled her eyes looking past me.

"Get in the car Luke. Don't talk to us." My smile was huge as i ran to my mother giving her a kiss. "He's still not coming in my house yet."

"Got it." I tried to contain how happy i was but the baby felt it too. We were both very excited.

Luke's POV

'We made it past the dragon lady' -Lyd

I grinned looking up at the rear view mirror. Lydia smiled at me obviously still reeling from the fact she got me in the car. It's true. This is actually an achievement for us. Something that probably wouldn't have been achieved if her mother wasn't always in a good mood.

'It's not done yet. We still have 20 more weeks.' i texted back.

'21'- Lyd

'Can you call me?' -Amber

My smile faded. I tried to hid the sudden change in emotion from Lydia who, with my luck, would look up right when it changed. I looked at the rearview mirror and none of them were looking at me anymore. I couldn't help feeling different about Amber. Lydia is my person. I don't know Amber.

'Can't. Super busy.' i texted her quick but she responded quicker.

'What could you possibly be busy with? It's about you baby.' -Amber

i was really feeling annoyed.

'I'm busy with Lydia. If i can i will call you tonight.' I put my phone in my pocket with the sole intention of not looking at it again until we were done with this scan and on our way home with the news of what were having. This has all my attention. We pulled up to the office parking lot just in time. I don't mean to be horrible to her. I really don't. It's just a hard situation and i can't deal with it all at once. I followed the girls wherever they want and completely zoned out on all the conversation. Keeping my hands in my pockets until we sat down in the waiting room.

"What's wrong with you?" Lydia whispered to me after a few minutes of me looking forwards and avoiding eye contact.

"Nothing. Just a lot on my mind." I could tell she didn't know what to say. How could she possibly understand the pressure put on me right now. I guess she can understand half of it.

"Just be excited. You get to find out if you will have a son or a daughter." I could have both. or god forbid two daughters. If they are both girls they are locked into their rooms at the age of sixteen. Now that i think of it my sons too. Can't risk them getting themselves into trouble like i did.

"You said you feel like it's a girl."

"I don't know. I feel in between right now. Like it's completely up in the air without any instinct." Lydia's mom looked up from her phone at us. This is innocent enough conversation i would say. 

"Whoever it is needs to stop moving. Little jumping bean." I felt a warm feeling start to grow in my chest. Lydia have talked about being here one day. Talking about what we would name our child when we eventually had one. I did not expect it this early but i still knew that when i had children this would be their mother. That's when a thought entered my head.

"Are we naming the baby Hemmings?" The was a little cough and I knew it was her mother.

"It would make sense. Will Ambers be Hemmings?"

"Can we keep this about us?" Lydia looked like she was studying my face but she nodded.

"I think we should. The paperwork for the nursery says baby Hemmings." I grinned. Inside I knew that these kids would have my name but there was a chance in this situation that I would be a father of two kids with drastically different last names. I'm not even sure what Ambers last name is.

"We need a name."

"Kian. Or Twyla." She smiled looking at me. "You could say no."

"Anna always said our names together would make a good girls name. Lucia."

"Lucia Hemmings. It's not bad." I opened my mouth to say something but was interrupted by a nurse coming in.

"Lydia. The doctor is ready for you." Lydia suddenly looked nervous. It was just by instinct. I grabbed her hand. She turned to look at my hand.

"Let's go see our baby." I was already nervous myself. This will be the first and only time I would see my baby on that screen.

Ambers POV
Hey this is Luke. I'm either too busy or I'm ignoring you. Leave a message. The beep made my heart pound louder as I had to leave the message.

"Luke. It's Amber. I need you to call me. My stomach really hurts and I'm scared." I grabbed onto the edge of my bed wincing. This is for real. There's something wrong. "Please. There might be something wrong with the baby." I hung up throwing my phone in the bed. The sound of the radio from the kitchen made me dread what I had to do. I propped myself up moving over to the door and opened it. "Dad." I said not as loud as I should. I mustered up enough energy to scream it again and the radio stopped as I heard him stomp around the corner. I was wearing a tank top so my belly was obviously noticeable. It was clear as soon as he saw me.

"You have got to be kidding me."

"We can talk about it later. I need the hospital." I put my hand under my belly wincing again and almost falling. My dad was able to catch me before I fell on the floor.

"Damn it." He said through his teeth before picking me up and walking to the front door.