0001 Cemetery Lane, Westfield NJ

"...you're planning to die, right? That's the whole point of your emotional journey is so you can return home and somehow complete this prophecy by letting your beloved kill you?"

Lena hummed from where she was laying down in the grass, her head resting on Wednesday's thigh where the girl was sitting up against a headstone, the setting sun casting its last rays of light across the manor's grounds. "Well, yes... mostly I don't- I don't want to have to see the person I've come to treasure and hold so deeply in the core of my being so twisted with insanity." Closing her eyes against the rising feeling of longing in her chest, she shook her head slightly. "I keep having this dream where I return, walking through those halls and he's there- sane and whole and perfect- except... when he turns to look at me, there's nothing. No recognition, no warm smile in greeting, not even a pleased smirk and..."

The girl's hand carded through her hair gently. "And you wake up with tears in your eyes, feeling as if someone ripped out your heart." A soft huff. "Yeah. I know."

Reaching up, she tangled her fingers in Wednesday's, holding on tightly. "Had I met you first- had the world allowed us to find each other before we decided to give our hearts away to tragedy, I would have loved you to the end of the Earth and back."

"That's a little bit gay, Lena." The girl's voice was mirthful.

Laughing softly and tilting her head back so she could look up at the girl, she smiled as cheekily as she could with her heart so heavy. "I would have been a little bit gay for you, Wednesday."

"That's the dumbest and yet somehow sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me." The girl grinned at her before it turned a bit melancholy. "But I think I have to ask you not to speak of that distant universe, as you're firmly devoted to another and I don't want... I'm lost and adrift, Lena. Don't make me latch onto you in hopes of safety and then make me have to lose you too. That's not fair to either of us."

"...alright." Lena nodded slightly, looking away. "I-... I understand that."

She wished that she could have said that she wouldn't leave- that she could give up this hopeless road she was on and stay with good people that would love her no matter what...

But she couldn't, so she didn't.

Lena stood towards the back of the main hall leaning against the wall next to Lurch who was playing Moonlight Sonata, watching Wednesday and Pugsley greet two girls their age with grins and half-snorted laughs. Like their mother and aunt, one of the girls had red hair and the other brunette, the brunette woman that was their mom standing hand in hand with a man that reminded her a bit of Jack with the way he held himself, the redheaded aunt of the two girls leaning on his other side with an unlit cigarette hanging from her lips.

Grandmama had taken up whispering with two older women, who also had the brown and red hair that Wednesday had told her was common for the Owen's family, the two women and one man talking to Morticia and Gomez.

A happy family.

Lurch grunted, the song having finished, looking at her for another recommendation.

"Something sad."

Doing something with his eyebrows as if to say 'you always ask for that, can't you ever like happy things?', the man started to play Moonlight Sonata yet again.

"Something about this scene bothers you?"

They're happy.

Riddle's huff was soft. "It is a prominent holiday, darling, like muggle Christmas where family comes together to celebrate. Of course they would be happy. My question is not that, it is this: why aren't you?"