Why Not Have All Hell Break Loose?

Moody left.

Dumbledore was actually the one who ended up teaching them about defensive spells, which she found quite enjoyable, but it was to her poisonous glare that Moody re-appeared only a week later.

Limping into the classroom, the man announced he'd be putting them under the Imperius curse, as Dumbledore wanted them to know what it felt like.

"Why are you here?" Her scowl dominated her face, eyes narrowed. "I thought you got orders that took you out of the castle ?"

"Orders changed." The man grinned toothily at her, even if it made him look unsettlingly manic. "Dumbledore wants me here more than anyone else needs me at the moment, especially with this tournament coming up." The grin got a bit meaner. "Never know when Dark Wizards will tamper with that."

Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, she clenched her jaw and looked away. "Whatever."

Moody began to beckon students forward in turn and put the Imperius Curse upon them as if nothing had happened.

Lena watched as, one by one, the Gryffindors made fools of themselves under its influence. One boy decided to try to sing an opera while badly imitating a ballet, another honking like a goose while tap dancing, and a few doing gymnastics she knew they'd never be able to do on their own.

Not one of the Gryffindors could resist.

Theo could resist for a good three minutes, Blaise for two, and Daphne for thirty seconds, but it was better than nothing. (Draco was pouting in the back at not being able to resist the curse.)

"Farland," Moody growled, "you next." She moved forward into the middle of the classroom that Moody had cleared of desks and he pointed his wand at her. "Imperio!"

Lena felt the weight fall off her shoulders, the pain in her side receding, the grim thoughts and worries in her head seeming to blur.

She felt light.

She felt... happy.

"Dance."

Happy... wasn't right.

She- she hadn't been truly happy or carefree since that night, the table on its side and Jack-

"Dance!"

Shaking her head to clear of the strange feeling, she smiled grimly at the man. "That was a hit of serotonin to the brain. I don't think it's all that healthy though, so I'm going to have to pass." Booting the happy feeling out of her brain, shoulders tensing as the weight that came back to her, she turned and walked back to her seat.

"Farland. Tell me, how is it you think you threw off the Imperius so fast?"

She pointed to Draco, who sighed and monotoned one of her usual responses. "She blames her childhood, sir."

"Or the orphanage," Blaise smirked at her. "Which one is it today?"

Shrugging, she leaned back in her chair. "I guess if I wanted to change things up I could blame all the winter nights sleeping in the cellar. I swear that woman took the insulation off the cellar door just so I'd be colder because she's an evil hag like that..."

Daphne smiled politely at where Moody was gaping slightly. "It's probably like the dementors. Since it's mood-based, it won't affect her as much." The girl grinned. "Lena doesn't have emotions most days or she likes to pretend she doesn't- I can't tell."

That or she knew she wasn't supposed to be happy.

It wasn't right- not after what had happened with Jack.