How To Lose Graciously

A/N: Here we are! The last chapter of the first year!

~~~

Lena had made sure everyone was in bed the night before, leaving out a few chocolates for anyone who might wake, as well as a simple spiral-bound notebook where anyone could write out their dream if they needed, before heading to bed herself.

The next day was Quidditch after all.

Waking up extra early, she made sure that her hair was braided with green and silver ribbons, asking the house elves to make sure that the meal was one of high protein for their table before sitting down with an Astronomy assignment.

She was halfway through the page when someone stopped in front of where she was sitting with her back to the wall at the head of the table.

Looking up, she smiled thinly at a girl in Gryffindor robes. "Hello... What can I do for you?"

"Wood sent me. He says to keep your dogs on a leash. No fouls and no cheating."

There was a scoff. "And what would you know of dogs Bell?" Janus' voice was ice from where he loomed over the girl. "You have a lot of nerve to-"

"Janus. Enough." Her tone was calm, but the look she sent to the boy was enough to portray her irritation. "We can all be cordial here... don't you think?"

The girl looked at her in a mixture of disgust and hate. "I heard the rumors, the little first-year nobody rejected from her house one day and then controlling it the next, but I didn't actually believe it until now... What'd you do, Farland? Sleep with all the seventh years?"

Lena felt herself flinch back slightly at the accusation, Janus letting out a sort of animalistic snarl, but a smooth voice interrupted the three of them in their movements before they even happened.

"Miss Bell. Thirty points from Gryffindor for crass language."

She didn't look at Quirrell, not able to keep her memories from welling up to try to choke her.

-a rough voice speaking to her and dirty hands pushing her up against a wall-

"Miss Farland?"

-blood, wet on her skin as the man's head was cleanly severed from his body in her panic-

"Lena?" A hand, warm like the feeling of being tickled softly with butterfly wings, moved to lay on her shoulder.

Blinking slowly, pushing the horrible thoughts far far back into the depths of her mind, she looked to who she knew instinctively was Blaise, even if she couldn't feel anything but ice in her body at the moment.

"You okay?" The boy's eyes were scanning her for any sign of an injury, eyebrows furrowed.

"I-" She swallowed thickly then nodded, her voice was barely a whisper, mouth moving even though she didn't seem to process it. "Yeah."

Blaise gave her a look of concern, but after a long second, nodded. "If you say so."

"Miss Bell, you will return to your house table." Quirrell was watching Lena with eyes that almost looked scarlet in the light, casting a glare to the Gryffindor that had the girl scrambling away, before frowning back at her. "Do you need to see the nurse, Miss Farland?"

Lena looked at the man, not even finding enough energy to make her lips move into a smile. "I am fine Professor. Your timing is appreciated though, less I have hurt her."

An almost cruel smirk flitted across the man's face before it was gone and the scarlet color dimmed to a reddish-brown. "Y-yes... Well t-then, I- I have- have to go." And with an assessing glance, the man hurried off to the Head Table.