Why Not Dance The Night Away?

A/N: Cedric! Dancing! Ice skating! Drama! More Tom! Lily Potter!
I know that some of you may not like the idea of Lena having romantic dalliances outside of Tom, but I'm here to say that this story is a coming-of-age story and for Lena and Tom to be compatible (and for me to be comfortable writing them in a relationship) Lena will have to grow up and part of growing up is learning how to have different types of relationships. 

~~~

"Will you go to-"

"Sorry, I already have someone in mind for the ball." Lena gave a soft smile that was slowly getting less soft with every rejection she gave (and got).

Moody had laughed at her, Severus told her he didn't have the time for such nonsense, Dumbledore just said he wasn't allowed to go with her, and Janus winced (which told her he was reluctantly saying no).

Finally, she got through the crowd to the head of the Slytherin table.

Surprisingly it was all other houses asking her, as none of the Slytherins even tried to approach her about anything more than normal homework questions and dancing tips. It had gotten around that she was good at dancing- when in reality all of her skill had come from asking Draco for help, her excellent balance, and a knack for remembering things.

Draco was going with Charles (to everyone's surprise), Daphne with Theo, Viktor with Hermione, Fleur with Luna, so only Blaise and Cedric didn't have dates.

Lena sighed as she sat down, leaning into where Cedric had decided to sit with them, feeling a bit better when he put his arm around her. "I can only think of three people I find attractive and none of them are the people hounding me for a date. Not to mention Professor Babbling now wants me to try to go for my Runes Mastery next year... I think I might need to plead to Dumbledore about skipping the Yule Ball, if just for my sanity."

"How about this?" Pushing her back slightly, Cedric moved to stand, looking down at her with a smirk when the hall seemed to quiet down.

She blinked, before sending him a quizzical look.

"Lena Farland... will you go with me to the Yule Ball?"

"Say no."

Quiet in the peanut gallery.

She took his offered hand, standing up next to him. "I will, Cedric Diggory." Then a whole flock of owls flew overhead and showered their surrounding area in rose petals. She giggled, and they both laughed together. "You're- you're such a sap."

"Gross." Riddle pouted.

"Was it okay?" Cedric's voice had lowered, sounding slightly embarrassed.

She smiled reassuringly. "It was lovely." She reached a hand up to take a flower petal from his hair, letting it fall to the floor with her lips tugging up into a smile. "You set this all up?"

The boy smiled, embarrassed, and looked to where Fleur was sitting with her arm around Luna. "I had a bit of help."

Fleur winked and Luna smiling serenely.

"Good thing my mother found that dress for you," Blaise looked to Diggory with something dark in his eyes even as he smiled, "as it's easy to match silver with black dress robes."

Cedric smiled in relief but Lena blinked at the Italian boy. "What- wait you knew about the tournament?"

"Of course he did." Draco rolled his eyes, but there was a smirk hiding on his lips. "His new step-father is- well- was working in the International Communications in the Ministry. Tragic, his untimely disappearance right before the start of the school year though..."