Part 22. The Problem of Being Faster than Light is...

Diavolo never had a normal life.

All he knew was rage from the abuse. He killed three children while leaving some kids with heavy injuries when he first woke up. People called him "The Devil" since that day. Diavolo eventually moved from one orphanage to another. No home wanted the problematic kid. They put him in the church when he hit adulthood.

The situation between the church and the orphanage was different. Diavolo put up his guard the whole time, but nothing happened. In the orphanage, other children and adults used violence to tame him. Such a crime would never occur with the church. They treated him well despite his cold personality.

Doppio appeared that moment.

After some months of living in a new place, Diavolo found himself skipping days without any memories. Everything got stranger as he woke up with different clothes, hairstyles and new items in his room. The kind priest and church nuns were the ones who filled him with his missing memory.

Diavolo browsed books for his symptom in the library and was surprised. He developed a dissociative identity disorder. The psychiatrist confirmed it during his visit. There was a possibility of a new alter living inside the body. The reason behind his split personality was the new peaceful environment. Doppio eventually took over the host while Diavolo fell into slumber for an unknown time.

No one knew how long he had slept. One day, Diavolo found himself waking up after years had passed. He learnt about Doppio schedules, work and habits. During his night out, he met Donatella at the local pub. She greeted him with the name Solido Naso, which he assumed as his new identity. Diavolo did not recognise her but played along. After all, he enjoyed the companionship of a beautiful woman.

Their switching became a daily occurrence, and it roused his suspicion. Diavolo found out the reason after doing an investigation. Doppio bumped into a member of a gangster and apologized profusely, but the thugs did not accept it. They harassed him and even threatened the church because they interfered with their new target.

Diavolo took control of the body in a dire situation. Fortunately, his opponent was a bunch of amateurs. They were a small team with no position in the organisation. He finished his job in a short time and left without a trace immediately. His skill in slaughter and cleaning the evidence impressed the leader of the mafia. After a long search for the culprit, they finally found him. Much to Diavolo's surprise, the boss offered him a role.

He climbed the ladder of the underworld without a hitch. Yet before he conferred his loyalty, the leader died from a fight with another organisation. In the middle of chaos, Diavolo controlled everything from behind and became the new leader of Passione. That man did not trust anyone except his other personality.

He could not live in the church because of his new position so Diavolo recruited Doppio into his organisation. Doppio did not know much about his other personality but complied since Diavolo helped him. They moved to another country, creating a new identity while the other lived as a shadow.

How he managed to exchange conversation with Doppio was a miracle. Diavolo put a private journal on the desk with a note. Doppio took it and wrote his replies. That was their only way to communicate with each other. Their notes eventually changed into a phone conversation. It was supposed to be impossible, but there he was listening to another voice inside his mind.

Years passed until a piece of news reached his ear. He had a daughter, the result of his relationship in the past. Maybe it was his punishment for leaving Donatella without looking back. His life changed upside down, living with Trish was a different new experience.

However, he should have known getting attached to her was a mistake. As long she remained next to his side, she would always face danger. He could not let his daughter walk on a thorny path. Diavolo decided to let her go.

Trish did not accept the choice. She threw a tantrum, throwing stuff at him, calling him names and yelling right in front of his face. Diavolo remained silent at the behaviour. Trish preferred him to threaten her instead of shutting his mouth. His accepting attitude hurt her more than anything.

Even when he turned into Doppio the next day, his decision did not change.

"Doppio, you would not leave me, would you?"

Doppio knew everything from Diavolo's letter. His boss was right. This was for the best for her. She deserved a better and safe place to grow. Doppio had a sad smile on his face during their last goodbye. He walked away without looking back at her. If he stared at her crying face, his feeling would be swayed.

"Goodbye, Trish..."

They had been separated for two weeks. Doppio barely appeared after Trish left. Diavolo noticed the change inside the house. He went from messed up to downright miserable. That man could not deny it, he missed his daughter. He liked her singing voice in the morning, their banter in the noon and the heart-warming talk in the night.

He could not live like this. Diavolo called a number on his phone.

"This is me. Prepare the plane and guards in the airport. I'm moving back to Italy."

Author note: This was supposed to be one chapter, but I divided it into two.