Part 14. Helth

The rain fell from the grey cloud. The sounds of dripping water never ended, you could hear it across the dining room. Trish and Diavolo had a quiet breakfast. He flipped through his henchman report while drinking his coffee. Trish had been looking at her plate for a few minutes. She put down his spoon after having a bite. The food tasted like nothing on her tongue. "I'm done."

"You're barely touching your food."

"I don't have much appetite..."

He frowned, staring at her face. "Are you okay? You look pale."

Her head and bone ached. The world was spinning in her eyes. Before Trish replied, she lost all of her vision. Her small body collapsed from the chair. Diavolo was shocked and held her in his arms. Her breathing was shallow, and her body was warm.

She definitely was sick.

Trish was unconscious for some minutes. When she opened her eyes, Diavolo had carried her to bed. "My school..."

"You have a fever, Trish. You can't go to school. Don't worry, I threatened your teacher. She gives you a free day until you get better. Just get some rest first."

She whimpered and trembled from the pain. The little girl eventually cried herself to sleep. Diavolo might kill a man like it was Thursday, but even her father felt awful looking at her condition. He caressed her head out of pity, hoping it would ease her suffering a little.

"Damn it, Donatella. You just have to leave her with me."

Diavolo did not have a thermometer to check her temperature. He was rarely sick and never needed medical attention (unless he got shoot). The only suitable people he could think was Cioccolata and Secco. Cioccolata was an illegal doctor, and Secco was his assistant. They worked under his command, treated his subordinates, or killed them if Diavolo redeemed his employee useless. They also run an illegal underworld clinic for shady people. Some of his dead patients were found missing an organ in their corpses. He sold a few of them and used some for his experiment.

There was no fucking way he let that nutcase examine his daughter.

The downside of having a secluded hideout was the difficulty of finding help. The rain made the situation worse for medical help to come. Diavolo could not wait, he must find a doctor by himself. That man managed to get an address for a clinic from Dio. After stuffing necessities in a bag, Diavolo carried Trish to the car and drove away.

The doctor and his nurse were chilling. They rarely got patients in the morning and had a small conversation over tea. Imagine how shocked both of them when a man broke into the clinic. He almost screamed at the sight of a tall man with a tattoo all across his body. He saw that man face on the wanted poster before. Meanwhile, the nurse was not sure whether to greet him or call the police. She already held a phone in her hand.

The man in the white lab coat was stunned. He still remembered his last mafia patient. That man pointed a gun at his head while forcing to be treated. He wondered if the man in front of him would do the same. The doctor stepped back slowly and whispered to the nurse. "If I don't survive, let my brother get the damn boat. That bastard has seasickness."

"I don't think he's here to kill us nor treatment. He is not injured." She replied after seeing him carrying a child. The nurse put down the phone. "Can we help you?"

"My daughter is sick."

"Oh, it's a normal patient. Thank God."

The nurse was calm and polite. He led Diavolo to the examination room. "Please bring the patient here."

It was fortunate how Trish's illness was not heavy. The doctor finished his examination and gave Diavolo the receipt for medicine. "She will be fine with proper rest and medicine. Make sure she eats well."

Diavolo did not understand the brimming feeling in his chest. He felt relieved after hearing the news. That man showed his gratitude by smacking a big pile of cash on the table. The doctor and nurse eyes went wide at the thick paper.

"Okay, maybe not all mafia patients are bad..."

Trish woke up when Diavolo carried her to the car. Her voice was throaty. "I want pudding."

"Sure. I'll buy one before we go home. "

Trish closed her eyes and fell asleep. When the little girl opened her eyes, the night had fallen. Doppio sat next to her with a worried expression. He put his hand on her forehead. Deep down, Trish was disappointed. Diavolo was not the one on her side. Perhaps everything was a dream.

"Trish, you're awake! How is your fever?"

"I feel better, but I'm starving."

"Of course. You've been sleeping since the afternoon. I'll bring your food to the room."

Doppio went down to take the food from the kitchen. While she was waiting, Trish noticed a pudding on the table next to her bed. She was smiling at that sight.

It was not a dream after all.

Author note:

Next Chapter: It's the summer holiday and we're going to Italy