Part 10. You Have A Birthday, You Have A Birthday, Everyone Get A Birthday!

Trish was bored. She had been rolling on the couch for few minutes. Today was supposed to be a special day, but it passed as the other days. She pouted her mouth out of upset. This was her father's fault.

It was her birthday. Diavolo gave her a big pile amount of gifts; a Hermes bag, a Tiffany diamond necklace, Gucci glasses, Dior shoes, and other ridiculous expensive items. Despite the pile of presents, Trish liked her friend's gift better. Giorno gave her a ladybug bracelet, Narancia gave her muffin, Josuke and Okuyasu gave her a small purple comb and Jolyne gave her a butterfly pin. Her new friend from second and third grade, Fugo and Mista, gave her a notebook and food coupon. None of her friend presents was expensive, but they put thought into it.

Her birthday in the past was nothing like this. She was not filthy rich, but not downright poor either. It was a modest party with cake and a single gift. She always celebrated it with her mother, who was already weak from overworking and illness. Last year her mother could not buy her a gift, but it was okay. They sang happy birthday at their small house while lighting candles on her plain birthday cake. Every year, Trish prayed for luxury items. She knew it was a hopeless wish, but she hoped it came true.

Now she regretted it a lot. Trish should have prayed for her mother's health.

Diavolo had an important business and forbade her from going out. He allowed her to spend his money on materialistic items in exchange for staying in the house. Trish had not seen him for a week. She eventually got lonely in the big house. The little girl slouched on the couch and buried her face on a pillow. She murmured a few curses at her father. This was the worse birthday in her life (but she was only six years old and realized she had an upcoming birthday to wait).

Trish heard a knock on a door when feeding King Crimson. The swirled haired girl ran to open the door. She was surprised to see a huge Pink Teddy Bear stood in front of her. Behind it was Doppio with a huge grin upon his face.

"Happy Birthday!"

She barely saw him in a couple of days. Trish jumped and almost knocked him down. Doppio had been busy with his job in Passione. However, he still dropped few times to check on her. After all, he felt bad leaving a little girl alone in the house.

Her smile was bright. "Why are you here? I thought you cannot come today!"

"I finished my work earlier, so I can give you a surprise!"

She hugged him. "Thank you! You're the best!"

Trish received the big bear. It was as big as her size. She put it in the living room along with other presents. Doppio was a bit intimidated by other gifts. His gift was not as grand as the pile of luxuries.

"Don't be discouraged. He bought them since he cannot even come to his daughter birthday. How lousy."

"Aw... I'm sure boss want to celebrate your birthday."

"Huff! I doubt about it."

Trish put her hand on her arms. He chuckled, perhaps Doppio should tell Diavolo about it later. "So what do people do during their birthday?"

Trish was surprised. "You never have a birthday before? We sing a song, blow some candles and have a cake."

"Oh, no... I don't buy a cake or candles."

He did not know anything related to a birthday celebration. Doppio went gloomy after realizing his mistake. Trish determined to help him and ran to the kitchen. She looked up through the refrigerator and cabinet to collect ingredients. After searching through the internet, she found an easy recipe to follow. Trish was grateful that Doppio and the maids (who adored her existence) kept the fridge and cupboard full.

"Doppio, let's make a cake!"

"Cake? But I never bake before."

"It's okay! We just need to follow the recipe."

Trish helped Doppio made the cake. She broke few eggs, poured the milk and flour into the cup. Doppio mixed it and put the dough into the oven. They were talking while waiting for the cake. Trish was then reminded of something important to ask. "How come you never have a birthday? It's ridiculous!"

He scratched his cheek. "I just never think about it before."

"When is your birthday then?"

"My... birthday?"

His memories were fuzzy. Doppio touched his head. It twitched in excruciating pain. That man remembered darkroom and whispers. He heard an exhausted woman and people muttered in distance. They pointed at him in dread.

"DOPPIO!"

Trish word snapped him back to reality. He was spacing out for few seconds. She looked worried at him. "Doppio, are you okay? You are sweating a lot."

"I'm fine...." He forced himself to smile. Doppio began to speak in a brittle voice. "I just realize.... I never learn the date I was born. "

His expression was sad and painful. That man never knew anything regarding the circumstances of his birth. This made Trish felt sad. She stood up and came with a great idea. "Then let's make today your birthday as well!"

He was surprised. "I can?"

"Of course! Now we share the same birthday!"

When the cake was done, they decorated it with cream, cookies and fruits. They did not have a birthday candle, but Doppio found one huge candle in case of electricity was out. Trish was laughing because the big candle stood out from the rest of the cake. Afterwards, they sang happy birthday together.

"Wait, don't blow the candle! We suppose to make a wish first!"

Both of them made a wish. Trish took a glance at Doppio. He closed his eyes and prayed seriously. Trish then closed her eyes and did the same thing. They blew the candle at the same time and clapped their hand.

She cheered at the celebration. "Happy birthday to us!"

"What do you ask for your birthday, Trish?"

Trish was too embarrassed to tell her wish. Her cheek and ears turned red. "It's a secret!"

They cut the cake and had a feast on the table. The cake tasted plain since they only baked it based on available ingredients. At least it was edible and safe for consumption. Trish and Doppio then raised their glass and had a toast of orange juice. This birthday was not as bad as she thought.

Trish hoped this moment to last forever.