Chapter 2: Leaving

George returned to his room to see all of his stuff already in suitcases. "Wow they really can't wait to get rid of me huh," he mumbled. He flopped onto his bed and almost immediately fell asleep, he wasn't very tired, but he did not have the energy to be awake. To be awake meant he would have to think about what would happen tomorrow, and that did not sound appealing to George. Thinking of it would make leaving more real, which was something he definitely wasn't ready for. So he opted to dream of a world where his parents were still alive and his family was still happy. A world where he could marry on his own time and live as he pleased.

    The following morning George wasn't woken by sunlight, rather a new servant the castle had hired. "Uhm your majesty, the ship is loaded and is waiting on your arrival." The man spoke timidly. George rubbed his eyes sleepily. "Mhm thank you, Ranboo, I'll be out in a minute." "Yes sir," Ranboo replied, leaving and shutting the door behind him. "Shame", George thought. He was just starting to like Ranboo, and he would never get to get to know him. George froze for a moment. Shit. What Ranboo had said registered in his mind, and he realized his last day in the castle was actually here.

    It was too real, and It didn't feel real It clicked for him then he would have to leave everything he had ever known behind. George felt a pang in his heart, but he quickly pushed the feeling away. "I will not let myself cry," George whispered to himself. After all, He was still the prince, and people would still be watching his every move, whether he was in this country or not. George couldn't risk being perceived as weak by irresponsibly breaking down in public. The tears would have to wait.

    George stood over the dock watching his things, along with the rest of the supplies being loaded onto the small ship. It wasn't a big crew because it was only a two-day trip, but Sapnap still made sure there were guards on the ship. "To keep me safe or keep me from escaping?" George had thought scornfully. He felt bad for Princess Bella. It wasn't her fault that her future husband is going to resent her forever for their arranged marriage. Hell, she probably didn't want this either. Political marriage with a man who hasn't had romantic feelings in a long time. He was too afraid of becoming like Sapnap and Karl, a once beautiful, blossoming obsession turned dull by greediness and power. Not to mention he wasn't even sure if he liked gu- "George?"

    His thoughts were interrupted by his little sister standing behind him with a pained expression on her face. "And why didn't you come to tell me goodbye?" "I didn't know- I didn't want to- I can't-" George stammered. But Niki understood and pulled him into a tight hug. "It's ok, George, it'll be ok." She said this to herself more than anyone else. They stood there for a second, both of them taking in that this is the last time they would speak for a long time. George decided to change the subject to avoid her breaking down in public.

     "Where's Sapnap? And Karl?" " She looked up at him and hesitated, "They were busy, but they sent their love... too busy to say goodbye to the family they sent away." She whispered the second part with a scornful tone like she didn't mean to say it out loud at all. George wasn't expecting them here anyway. But he felt guilty for almost leaving without saying goodbye to Niki, all because he was a coward.

    Their conversation was cut short by the Captain. "Your majesty? We need to leave now to get as far as we can before nightfall." "Will do, one second," George replied. He looked at his sweet, innocent little sister. How could he feel bad for himself; he was getting what both of them had always dreamed of, an escape. Something both George and Niki knew that she would most likely never experience. George could start over with the new kingdom and the princess, but she could never have that privilege. He felt selfish for once again only thinking of himself. "Goodbye, Niki, I love you so so much. Don't ever forget that. You're going to be ok, I'm sure of it!" He said sadly, desperately trying to reassure himself. "Goodbye, George, I will already miss you." She said, biting back tears. "It's ok, I'm sure I can visit you one day soon." She nodded, and they shared one last hug before he boarded the ship.

    As The boat pulled away from the dock. He made eye contact with his sister and smiled and waved. George mouthed one last thing to his sister. "Don't let them change you." She waved back and gave a knowing nod. They went their separate ways. He turned around facing away from the docks, and to the ship he was on. George took a deep breath and went to help the crew unload the supplies. "I can't lose face now," He thought as he took a deep breath. "Not yet."

    George did not get seasick. He tended to enjoy the salty air and the constant cool breeze that came with boat rides. It reminded him of when Him, Sapnap, and Niki went to the beach as children. Chasing each other all day and getting sunburned badly, not a care in the world. That's why that evening, after the rest of the crew went to bed, he stood near the rail of the ship, letting the cold wind slap his face and the ocean spray burn his eyes. He looked over the sea, thinking about his family and his future with the princess and how absolutely alone he felt. "Ok George." he thought to himself. "You're safe now. Now one can see you. You need to let it out." George let his emotions wash over him, but no tears came. He felt so alone, so empty, so lost, but he couldn't manage to cry. It felt like there was a scream stuck in the back of his throat that he couldn't quite let out. No matter how strongly he felt, and how desperately he wanted to sob until he couldn't breathe, nothing came.

     It was like a nightmare where no matter how much you wanted to, you couldn't scream. George soon found he couldn't remember the last time he cried, but he could remember how good it felt. He stood leaned over the rail, looking blankly at the night sky. "Maybe tomorrow, It's just strange being away from home," George said quietly. Of course, he didn't think that being away from home was the reason at all. As he looked to the stars for some sort of answer to his problems, he realized he hadn't felt at home in a while. "Lucky stars," "always in the right place at the right time." He thought solemnly. George turned to go to his room and get some rest, he knew tomorrow would be a big day. And he couldn't be bothered with childish emotions and stupid stars who had it better than him.

1224 words :)