Chapter 17: End of the battle

"You, what?" Dream sputtered, sure he must have misheard.

"I want you to set me free so I will no longer' be your prisoner," George repeated.

    The words cut through Dream until he physically ached. George's face was unreadable as he tried to keep a serious demeanor. He knew that asking Dream to do this, to let him go, would hurt him but it was important to do. "Niki, please excuse us for a moment." He spoke as Dream looked at him in shock. Niki nodded her head and left to wait outside quietly. "Why, are you having second thoughts? Was I too much?" Dream asked, breaking the silence that Niki had left behind. "Dream I..." George swallowed hard. "Don't back down now." He thought to himself. "I need to know that I'm free, that I'm here on my own free will." Dream took a deep breath and George could tell he was contemplating what he should do. "You know you've been free to do as you wish for a long time now, I would never force you into staying," George nodded. He knew that, he knew that Dream would give the world to him. But George was certain that if he wasn't set free now that the rest of his life he would question if he really was. Or if he was still just Dream's plaything. Some passing adventure for him to tell stories about. George is an idiot.

    "I know that Dream. I know you would never hurt me. I know that. But I need you to tell me out loud that I'm acting on my own free will." Dream hung his head. "Does this mean-?" George put a finger up and shushed him. "It means I need you to say it." Dream looked him in the eyes with a kind of fear George had only seen a few times before. "I fully release you as my prisoner and you are free to act on your own will."

    His words were firm but George could hear undertones of hurt behind them. George didn't think he would ever get used to seeing such a strong force of nature crumble. Dream's disappointed words satisfied George's nerves. George took his hands and Dream lifted his face to look at him. "Please don't give me puppy dog eyes," George said, lifting Dreams face with his hands cupped around his sharp jaw. "This just makes it more real. Our love for each other, my love for you. Nothing is forcing me to stay with you except me." Dream's once distraught face morphed into a bright smile and he leaped forward pulling George into an unexpected and tight embrace.

    "oomf" George grunted as Dream tackled him. "Get off of me you big simp," George giggled when Dream hugged him tighter. Dream laughed along with him squeezing him tighter. "Nope! That was a mean trick," He replied. "Oh, don't be a baby I would never leave you," George said, effectively kicking him off. "Nuh-uh, you're not getting rid of me that easily," Dream said with an evil look that George knew all too well. "Don't you-" but it was too late. Dream lunged at George once more. and began tickling him mercilessly. "STOP IT" He screeched through giggles and Dream's fingers danced on his stomach and hips. "GOTTA SAY YOU WON'T LEAVE ME FIRST" Dream yelled back as he continued to tickle him. George tried to fight back but Dream pushed him against the couch and onto his back. Before he would get up Dream leaned over his body, knees on either side of his legs and still tickling him so neither of them quite noticed the weirdness of the pose. "OK OK, I WON'T LEAVE YOU NOW CUT IT OUT" George wheezed and Dream finally stopped.

     "Oh my God, I couldn't breathe!" George said trying to catch his breath but Dream just laughed at the state he was in under him. "You're so dramatic," he replied, rolling his eyes, though it was becoming harder for George to ignore that Dream had accidentally straddled him on the couch. Dreams' knees were pressed on the side of his thighs and his hands were resting on the armrest on either side of where George's head lay. His face burned a little and he hoped the other didn't notice. "Oh I'm dramatic," George said sarcastically, trying to distract the other from any changes in his face. "You're the one who thought I was gonna leave you forever, I told you I wouldn't." Dream shook his head at him. "Yea ok what else do you expect me to think, besides when did you tell me that?" George looked at him confused, and a little hurt that he had forgotten. He knew if asked he could recite that night's dialogue on the spot. "You don't remember? I asked you "Do you think that's where you go when you die" That night on the boat." George could still feel the night wind slapping on his face. "You told me, yes and I said-" "I'll follow you there." Dream finished, and George noticed how Dream was now leaning all the way over him, hands and knees still on either side of his body. George gulped and tried to keep his mind out of the clouds and his eyes on Dream's face. "You still promise?" George said softly as his heart did flip flops in his chest. Dream had almost closed the gaps between them and George felt warm breath fan his lips. "Always" he whispered. How could he think that Dream would forget?