Chapter 34

Finale

          EARL GAVE ME the dream wedding I’ve longed for. The beach wedding was simple, but it’s the way I’ve always wanted it to be. Like a typical bride-to-be, I had wedding jitters and I had to go through the agony of gown adjustments and some other stuff.

          Much to my happiness, it all accorded to plan.

          My mom said that she was glad that she was be able to be at my wedding, she even helped me with the preparations and picking my own gown.

          “I can’t believe that you’re finally getting married,” Mom sniffles, “That man better take care of you, or else…,” her shoulders shake as she bursts into tears. She encloses me in a bear hug and I couldn’t help but smile and return her embrace.  “I’m so sorry for over-reacting,” she hiccups, “I’m just… so proud of you.”

          “Thank you for being here, mom,” I utter, patting her back.

          The day we met,

          Frozen I held my breath.

          Mom and Dad walk me down the aisle. Nothing makes me happier than having them attend this important event of my life.

          Right from the start,

          I knew that I'd found a home for my heart...

          ... beats fast

          Colors and promises.

        Maxene is my maid of honor and Ethan is Earl’s groomsman. My younger sister, Zabrina, is also one of the bridesmaids.

          How to be brave?

          How can I love when I'm afraid to fall?

          But watching you stand alone,

          All of my doubt suddenly goes away somehow.

          One step closer.

          Today, I am giddy, anxious and terrified at the same time. We’ve already gotten married before, but I didn’t know that a formal ceremony is this nerve-wrecking. I am the center of the center of everyone’s attention. I had to maintain my poise and composure.

          I have died everyday waiting for you,

          Darling don't be afraid I have loved you,

          For a thousand years.                                                               

          I'll love you for a thousand more.

          I don’t want to go through a grand wedding ceremony like this again. But if Earl were to ask me to marry him over and over again, I would say yes. And I would endure going through this again. I love him so much that I prefer him over everything.

          The way Earl looks at me; it was as if I was the only woman in the world. I try to hold back the tears that are threatening to spill, careful not to smear my make-up. But as I reach out to touch his hand, everything becomes a blur. I let the tears flow, letting the overwhelming joy I’m feeling ebb.

          Mommy Zelaida is here, along with Earl’s father, who is very frail and isn’t allowed to attend, but still insisted since he wants to witness his son’s matrimony.

          Finn, along with his parents, is one of the attendees. The entire L-Department members have also partaken in the wedding, including Mira.

          I’ve already forgiven Mira for what she did. And strangely, I found camaraderie with her. I didn’t know how it happened, but she has somehow become my friend.

          The ceremony starts and the priest smiles at us.

          Earl and I don’t let the priest finish his question. When we take our turns to answer, we instantly say ‘I do’ with conviction.

          One of the things that I’ve thought of carefully for this day is my vow. I had repeatedly practiced what I was going to say over and over in my head, but now, I’m tongue-tied. I’m at a loss for words. I think about spending infinity with this man. I think about the thrilling future that’s ahead of us.

          This is not the end; it’s the start of our forever.

          “I’m no poet and I’m no good with colorful words. But when I say something, I mean it. I don’t want to sound fucking cor—” he pauses, apologetically staring at the priest, “Sorry about my language.” Everyone laughs amusingly and I can’t help but laugh too. After a minute, the fit of laughter ceases. Earl clears his throat and continues. “Before, I don’t believe in forever and I don’t believe that you can love someone so much that you couldn’t think of breathing without them. But meeting you changed that belief,” my eyes fill with tears, “I promise to love you every minute, every hour, every second, every day. Always,” he says softly, “Even when your hair starts to turn gray, even when you get wrinkles, even when you get arthritis, even when you become oblivious to everything and become deaf… I’ll always love you.”

          I hear some of the audiences wail. Some of them are sighing dreamily. “I’ll let you know how beautiful you are in the morning, even when your hair is a mess. I’ll do my best to make you smile and make you happy, because when you’re happy, I’m happy.”

          From the corner of my eye, I could see Zabrina smiling giddily. “I’m not perfect and I easily get jealous. I’m cranky and short-tempered. I won’t be a perfect husband, but I’ll do my best to be a good one.”

          “I promise I will love everyone and everything you love, including your family. I vow to be by your side and love you and only you.”

          Mom, along with Earl’s mother, sobs.

           “Fuck. This is getting cheesy. I hope this won’t get videotaped.” The crowd erupts into laughter, including the priest

          I take a deep breath and say, “What I feel towards you and how much I love you are difficult to put into words,” I start, “I am so happy that you’re my first love. But what makes me happier is that you’re also the last.”

          My eyes are soaked wet with tears and I don’t really care about my make-up anymore. My breath is getting shaky. “I’ve regretted letting you go before…,” I trail off, fighting the urge to wail, “But now that I’ve been given the chance to love you again, I won’t let you go. Ever.”

          “I promise to take care of you. I vow to be by your side during the good times and the bad times. When we fight and have misunderstandings, I will listen to what you have to say. I promise to trust you and never doubt you. We’ll get through everything thrown to us by life.”

          We promise to stay by each other’s side. For better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, till’ death do us part.

          As we look each other in the eye, one thought comes to mind: This is the person I’ll love till’ my last breath. Even if our love writhes, and even if time stops, I’ll continue to love him. And if all else dies and everything turns into nothingness, our love would remain.