Chapter 21

Home

You'll never know these tears I've cried, that I'm sleeping on your side. And are you thinking of me? I don't, I don't know.

— You'll Never Know, Lawson

 • • •

        EVERYTHING IS SO DARK. I can’t see anything.

        This blindfold has been in my eyes for hours now. I have no idea what Earl is up to. He said he wanted to surprise me; I have to put on a blindfold for the thrill. I’m not really fond of surprises, but lately he has been bombarding me with it. And admittedly, all his surprises are good things, so I kind of grew fond of it now.

        As the engine halts, I expel a beleaguered sigh. "Are we there yet?" I ask.

        "Yeah," he confirms, "By the way, don't remove the blindfold yet." He instructs.

        "Alright."

        I could hear the sound of the driver's side door open. I assume that he already got out of the car.

        I feel his outstretched hand on mine; I accept and hold it as he offers his assistance. He guides me toward who-knows-where. After walking three meters, we finally stopped. "You can take it off now," he says permissively.

        I hastily remove the blindfold. My mouth went agape as my eyes widen. Am I dreaming? It’s all so surreal.

        Right in front of me is a two-storey house with an imperial design. I didn't realize that my eyes are brimming with tears.

        "W-What's this?" I inquire despite knowing the answer; I want to hear an affirmation from him. I want a proof that this isn’t an illusion or a dream.

        "Our house."

        Our.

        I love how it sounds. The happiness that's dwelling within my chest is immeasurable. "You really like making me cry—" I sniff, smacking his chest jokingly, "—out of joy."

        He encloses me into a tight embrace; a faint chuckle slips past his lips. "The only time I want to see you cry is when I'm making you happy," he whispers, planting a chaste kiss on my forehead.

        The entire place is fully furnished. The house has four bedrooms; one master bedroom and three sub-rooms. Each room has their own respective washrooms. The interior design is contemporary, with a mixture of vintage.

        He tours me around the place.

        "Isn't this house too big for us?"

        "I wanted to build a big family," he answers softly.

        That statement tugs my heartstrings. I’m certain that we’ll definitely have a future together.

        When we got inside the master bedroom, I nearly laughed my ass off. Everything around is decorated with Totoro. The floor mats, the color scheme of the walls, the pillows, and lastly the headboard of the king-sized bed.

        My laughter reverberates through the vicinity. This is so amusing.

        He scowls quizzically "What are you laughing about?" he asks as if draping the place with Totoro is a normal thing for married couples.