Chapter 19

His Past

You brought me out of the shell. You gave the world to me. And before I knew, there I was so in love with you.

— When I Met You, Apo Hiking Society

• • •

        YOU KNOW THAT FEELING WHEN you’re so happy to the point that you’re scared that something bad might happen next? That’s what I’m feeling right now. I don’t want to get used to this happiness ‘cause I know that sooner or later, it’ll all disappear like a bubble.

        It’s hard to get used to something that’s not meant to be permanent. I shake my head to clear my train of thoughts. Why am I being pessimistic? I should be optimistic.

        Earl finally became mine, officially mine. And I am his, only his. We earn the blessings from all the Gods above.  My eyes sting. I poke my cheek with my forefinger; it’s wet. I didn’t know that I’m actually crying.

        “Hey, are you okay?” Earl asks worriedly. “Why are you crying?

        I snap out of my trance when I heard his voice.

        I wipe the tears with the pad of my thumb. “Y-Yeah,” I reply, “I-I’m just happy.”

        I am half-lying, of course. I cried because I’m overwhelmed by the feeling of fear and happiness, various emotions, all meshed at the same time.

        “Stop crying, let’s just enjoy this moment,” he cajoles.

        After that abrupt informal wedding, he brought me to a private resort owned by a friend of his for our three-day honeymoon. At first, I didn’t really agree ‘cause there’s no need for such, plus we have work. But he is so nonchalant about it; he said that he already submitted some sort of four-day leave for the two of us.

        I’m pretty sure that we’d be bombarded with questions once we come back to work.

        There’s Ashley, Jackson, Gerald and the rest.

        I tried to make up excuses like how I’m unprepared, I didn’t bring any clothes. He saw this was coming so he asked Zabrina to pack things for me.

        He’s so clever.

      “This isn’t really necessary,” I interject, “We have work and stuff, we’ll leave a lot of things behind.”

        We have a short argument about this three-day vacation. And the outcome? Lo and behold! He wins. He always does, he’s pretty snarky and persistent.

        “Cut me some slack, Lianne,” he coaxes, “After this, we’ll hardly have the time alone with each other. Plus, a honeymoon is a necessity for couples after marriage.”

        “Oh come on,” I release a beleaguered sigh. “Everyday is a honeymoon with you.”

        He grins cheekily. “It’s your fault for being so irresistible.” His sweet words never failed to make me blush; he leans closer as he places his lips on my ear, his hot breath fanning the side of my face “I can’t get enough of you.”

        That makes me shiver.

        I try to keep my cool cause I don’t really want to show my weakness. I need to start getting used to this alluring charm of his.