Chapter 5

Giving Up

I’m sorry that I couldn’t get to you. Anywhere I would’ve followed you. Say something, I’m giving up on you. And I will swallow my pride. You’re the one that I love, and I’m saying goodbye.

–– Say something, A Great Big World

• • •

        I DIDN’T really have much expectation this summer. I’ll probably lock myself in a room like the usual; I’m not allowed to go out after all. I lazily lay down in bed; my gaze was stuck on the ceiling. The heat was exhausting, despite the air-conditioner being on, I could still feel the hot weather.

        I stared at my phone; if I receive any text from Maxene or Earl, that would at least kill my boredom.

        My phone suddenly rang, notifying a text message; I winced in pain as it fell on my face. "O-ouch!" I massaged my forehead. I sat astride on the queen-sized bed, my head leaning on the headboard.

        From: ZEN

        Yo.

        I yelped in excitement as I saw his name on the screen. ZEN was the abbreviation of his name––Zachary Earl Neilhart––which he inexplicably loathes. When I found out about it, I incessantly called him by his full name; he was flustered and so darn cute.

        To: ZEN

        Hey, Mr. Zachary Earl Neilhart.

        He managed to reply without even waiting for the thirty seconds interval.

        From: ZEN

        DON’T. CALL. ME. THAT.

        I could imagine his red face from embarrassment. He was probably fuming right now and in the most hyperbole descriptions I could imagine; his ears were puffing smoke.

        To: ZEN

        Awwh, don’t be mad babe.

        My eyes widened the moment I realized what I just called him. I called him the b-word; the endearment that cheesy couples usually uses. I fiddled through my phone, hoping that there’s some sort of undo-send option. I palmed my face in disappointment, such option didn’t exist.

        From: ZEN

        ;)

        And now I can picture him grinning so cockily. Oh lord, help me!

        To: ZEN

        What’s with that emoticon?

        From: ZEN

        Don’t mind it. BABE ;)