Chapter 27

Flowers, Garden

When my hair’s all but gone and my memory fades, and the crowds don't remember my name. When my hands don’t play the strings the same way, I know you will still love me the same.

—Thinking Out Loud, Ed Sheeran

• • •

        A MONTH HAS PASSED and I can confidently say that I’ve already moved on from everything; from all the grief and loss. Life goes on. I suddenly remember the old lady at the resort’s words: Something will be lost, something will come, and something will change.

        And I finally understand now. I lost the baby, but hope came. Everything has changed—in a good way. My relationship with Earl, it has changed a lot: we’ve been bound stronger by an intangible bond.

        He’s not a perfect husband and sometimes, we fail to convey our feelings to each other. We’ve had misunderstandings, but everything would be resolved immediately, before we go to sleep, we’d make sure that things would be a clean slate between us. Earl is really moody and it’s hard to read him. He’s always outspoken but tends to be mysterious and unpredictable. And that’s one thing I love about him.

        Even though we’ve known each other for so long, there are still some things that I haven’t discovered yet. I like the feeling I get every time I finding something new about him every single day we’re together.

        I wake to the sun’s warmth against my cheek. I look at the digital clock on the bedside table: it’six o’clock in the morning. And work starts at eight for us.

        I roll over to the side of the bed and watch Earl’s peaceful sleeping face, observing his breathing and the rhythm of how his chest heaves up. It’s as if I have already memorized his face and the way he breathes. I notice that the stubble on his chin is growing.

        I kiss him awake, and poke his cheek. It seems like it works. Lethargically, he opens his eyelids. I love seeing how his long lashes flutter every morning, despite its length, it’s so manly. Even in the morning, he’s still handsome. It must be a sin to be this good-looking.

        He moves closer and nestles his head on my clavicle, his hot breath brushing against my skin. “Good morning,” he mumbles, “Mrs. Neilhart.” It sounds so sexy. His cheek is so ticklish against me; it must be because of his stubble.

        I let out a shriek as I feel his teeth sinking against my neck. “W-What are you doing?”

        “Claiming you.”

        “I’m always yours.”

        He trails feather-like kisses on my collarbone. I bite my lip to suppress any moans. “I like marking you, I guess.”

        I don’t like kinkiness, but if it’s Earl, it’s so sexy, and all the rationality I have would instantly fade. I’ve tried to resist him a lot of times but failed. The way he leads on and how he puts his passion in every kiss we share, it’s so overwhelming. He’s the only temptation I’m weak against. “If this is one of your preludes to seduction, please don’t do it,” I admonish, “it’s morning and we’ve got work to do.”

        He stops and chuckles faintly. “Sorry. I was just teasing you.” He sits astride and stretches his arm, yawning.

        “You really like leaving me hanging.” I murmur, only for myself to hear.