Chapter 6

Threatened

I cannot believe I let you go, or what I should say is, I should have grabbed you up and never let you go. I should have went out with you, I should have made you my boo boy. Yeah, that is one time I should have broke the rules.

–– Almost, Tamia

• • •

        I HAD BEEN spending so much time texting. I couldn’t help but be addicted to it, especially when the one I was texting was the person I like.

        From: Boo Boy

        There’s this bonfire event on weekend. Saturday. I want you to come with me. It’s a date.

        "What happened to you? You’re smiling from ear to ear, Zoe," Maxene commented as I stared at my phone. I didn’t notice that I was smiling widely.

        "Nothing," I shrugged and diverted my attention back to the phone.

        Earl texted me about this summer bonfire at the amusement park and he’s asking me out. Oh, and I changed his name on my contact list, I don’t know what got into me but I just did. He wanted me to pick an endearment for him and I ended up agreeing; choosing Boo cause it’s quite cute. One thing I noticed about Earl is his obsession with Monsters inc. He loved it as much as I love Totoro. I still haven’t teased him about it, but I will, soon.

        To: Boo Boy

        Alright.

        "That face ain’t saying nothing." She rolled her eyes and craned her neck, taking a peak at the messages.

        I hid my phone quickly and flushed scarlet. "It’s really nothing!"

        "It’s Earl again," she scoffed, crossing her arms, "That jerk has changed a lot ever since he met you."

        "Is that a good thing?"

        "Good... and bad at the same time!" Her face had this frustrated look. "He is so annoying; I swear to god, he’s always smiling and shit. Then one time, he told me that I should stop being bitter cause love is worth the wait and blah blah blah, he made a fucking speech," she spat.

        I cracked into laughter upon hearing her complaints. "He is so cute."

        "No way, he’s so disgusting!"

        "Stop being bitter, Max!" I jested.

        Her brows furrowed. "As if!" she snorted.

        Today, I’ll be doing my regular check-up. It’s been a while ever since I’ve seen Doctor Edison. He wasn’t around much since he had to attend some sort of seminar.

        "How are you feeling, Miss Zoe?"

        "I feel fine."

        "Have you been taking your medicine?"

        I nodded. "Yes."

        "Had any good exercise?"

        "Yes. I’m following everything you’ve told me religiously."