Chapter 23

Grievance

Cause my heart starts beating triple time, with thoughts of lovin’ you on my mind. I can’t figure out just what to do. When the cause and cure is you.

—Weak, Jojo

• • •

        I KNOCK ON the door three times. On the third knock, it finally opens. Earl looks surprised and baffled by my sudden appearance. His eyes are bloodshot and it seems like he hadn’t had any proper sleep. It’s been three days and yet we still haven’t had any proper talk. I miss him so much; I don’t care if he’s still mad.

        I don’t wait for him to talk; I immediately wrap my arms around him, draping him in a tight hug. “I’m sorry,” I whisper, “Can we please make-up? I’m so tired. I don’t know what to do if this fight keeps going.”

        He doesn’t talk or respond. I hear him breathe a sigh. Afterwards, he finally returns my embrace. He rests his head on my shoulder, “I miss you, Lianne,” he coos subtly, “and I’m sorry, too.”

        He gently pulls away from the hug and cups my face with his hands, pressing his lips on mine. His kiss is slow, gentle, passionate, urgent… the usual one we share. The gesticulation conveys how much he missed me.

        “I’m really sorry for being immature,” I say apologetically.

        “No, I was the immature one. I was…” he trails off, “… jealous.”

        Jealous? Why would he be jealous? I stare at him quizzically. “Why would you be jealous?” I inquire, “And you’re not the only one, Earl.” I add.

        “It’s about that Finn guy,” People did get Finn’s name involved in that rumor. So all this time it was all because of that bullshit? I think irately. “And what do you mean that I’m not the only one?” he asks.

        “You were with Mira,” I scoff, “I saw you two laughing in the hallway.”

        “She’s just a friend,” he clarifies, “I owe her a lot and I’m grateful for everything she did for me. That’s all.”

        “A friend? Aren’t you aware that she’s in-love with you?” I ask in disbelief.

        “I am aware that she is,” he concedes, “but I already told her that we’re better off as friends and she was fine with it.”

        “Fine with it?” I say incredulously, “She hates me. She hates me with burning passion, Earl. She almost—” I cut my sentence off; I don’t want him to know about my recklessness and how I got into a catfight with Mira. I close my mouth and stop myself from speaking.

        “Let’s not press this subject. She’s just my friend and that’s that. No need to get jealous,” he iterates.

        I feel threatened by Mira. He said that he owes her a lot, so that means that something did happen between them back when I left him. “But you fell for her before, right? You loved her at some point.”

        His expression suddenly becomes reluctant, he stares at me deliberately, probably contemplating on what to say “I did,” he answers honestly, “She was there at my downfall.”