Chapter 22

Fallout

There’s no one else that could save me. No matter how long my knees are on the floor. So keep in mind all the sacrifices I'm making. Will keep you by my side, will keep you from walkin’ out the door.

— It Will Rain, Bruno Mars

• • •

        I OPEN MY EYES LANGUIDLY. The light is so blinding. The surrounding is draped in white. There are white walls, white sheets, and everything white. Where am I? I prop my elbow and sit upright, leaning my head on the headboard.

        “Are you alright?” I tilt my head to recognize the speaker. There I see Jackson with a concerned look on his face.

      My head throbs. I try to recall everything that had happened before I passed out. “What happened?”

        “I found you in the hallway. You passed out and you were bleeding. So, I brought you here,” He replies, “We’re currently at the company’s clinic.”

        I swallow nervously. “How many hours has it been ever since I’ve been unconscious?”

        “Two.”

        A female Asian doctor clad in white appears, she has a curly black hair and chinky brown eyes. “I’m Martha, the building’s doctor,”  The doctor introduces herself formally, “How are you feeling, Ms. Clarkson?” she asks.

        “My head hurts, but I think I can manage,” And then suddenly, I remembered something I should be concerned about above everything else. “H-How’s the baby?” I inquire, panicking.

        “The baby’s fine,” she informs.

        I expel a sigh of relief. I want to slap myself for being so reckless. I’ve almost harmed the baby. I should’ve been more careful. 

       “You are on your first trimester,” Dr. Martha starts “And that’s the most critical stage of pregnancy. You are not allowed to undergo too much stress. Please be careful next time, Ms. Clarkson,” she reminds.

        I duck my head down. She has a point, and I hate myself for being so careless. I nod. “I will.”

       Dr. Martha tells me that I should do a regular check-up with my OB-GYN. I really need to be more attentive. I’m pretty sure Maxene would be mad at me if she finds out about this. And then there’s Earl, our unresolved dispute might worsen.

        “PLEASE DON’T TELL ANYONE ABOUT THIS.” I plead.

        “You have to be careful next time, Zoe,” Jackson chastises.

        “I will.”

        Jackson and I have gone back to the LD office.

        “What happened?” Ashley probes. I can tell that she’s worried.

        “Nothing,” I answer.

        She looks cynical, I’m pretty sure she knows that something happened. But instead of divulging the information further, she doesn’t ask anything anymore. I’m relieved.

        So much has happened this week and I can’t handle anymore BS—it’s not good for me and for the child I’m carrying inside.