Special Chapter: Halloween

"GOOD NEWS everyone! We will be having a one-day Halloween event!" Mrs. Holmes—Our classroom adviser—announced enthusiastically.

        Everyone in class happily cheered. The expressions of my classmate's face were expectant. I don't really plan on attending the event; mom probably won't allow me to join. I didn't really intend to keep whatever Mrs. Holmes was saying in mind.

        ".. At 6PM in the evening, we will be having a spooky prom!"

        By the mere mention of the word 'prom', all the girls in the room squealed sheepishly, excluding me.

        "This event is not compulsory, you aren't required to attend," added Mrs. Holmes, "but I recommend that you all attend. I guarantee everyone that this'll be fun."

        "Oh my gosh! I'm so excited!" Chelsea—the blonde girl who sat beside me—exclaimed.

        "Who's your date, Chels?" Dara inquired.

        "I'm going with Brandon."

        I didn't pay any heed to their prattling.

        I heaved out a sigh. I really want to attend it. I'm pretty sure Earl and Maxene will be part of the event. The attention of the two girls talking was suddenly directed to me "How about you, Zoe? Are you gonna attend the party?" Chelsea queried.

        I rarely talk with these girls, I don't really have any friends in class despite my popularity, but I'm not the type who'd ignore people whenever they talk to me so I answered, "Nope."

        "I thought you are going with your boyfriend," Dara said.

        "Yeah," seconded Chelsea, "I'm pretty sure Zach will go. I mean, he goes every year with some random girl."

        "Random girl?" I tried to hide the disappointment in my voice, but it seemed like I failed. Of course, he dated a lot of girls before, I should've expected that.

        Dara and Chelsea apologetically stared at me as the realization dawned on them. "S-Sorry." They both said in unison. "We didn't mean to cause any hurdle with your relationship."

        "It's okay."

        Everyone knew about my relationship with Earl. Rumor spreads like wildfire, our closeness was known and they all concluded that he's my boyfriend, which was partly true. I didn't really want to become the subject of gossips, but it's inevitable considering my status as the school's it-girl. I feared that the news about my relationship with him would reach my parents' ear, but Earl assured me that it won't, he did something God-knows-what-magic to stop the rumors from spreading.

• • •

        From: Boo Boy

        You should go out with me at the Halloween party.

        I knew that he'd ask me out. I expelled a heavy sigh and typed in my reply.

        To: Boo Boy

        I'm sorry boo, I can't. As much as I want to, I'm not allowed to. Plus, I have no idea what costume to ear.

        I just wish that there was some way where I could escape, or even sneak out just for a while.