Chapter 2

Neighbors

And now I miss everything about you. I can’t believe it, I still want you. After all the things we’ve been through. I miss everything about you. Without you.

–– I never told you, Colbie Caillat

• • •

        IT’S BEEN A week ever since I’ve started my job as an editor. I am assigned to a story entitled What if? By Hailey DeVaughn. The plot of the story is about a girl who falls in love with a guy she least expects to fall for. And unlike those cliché stories that’d have a predictable outcome, the ending is pretty tragic; she had to choose between her dream and the person she loves, in the end, she chooses the former.

        Zen is the one who allotted the story. I am aware that he’s doing it on purpose, it hit me right on the spot, I can’t complain or whine about it though.

        He explicitly expresses his hatred for me. Every time I greet him, he’d simply respond with a glare. When we come across each other in the hallway, his ambiance immediately changes into an icy one. The animosity between us is palpable.

        "Say," says Ashley as she gives me a questioning look, "what is a chief’s problem with you? His blood boils every time his gaze lands on you."

        "It’s probably because of the terrible job I did," I reply; it’s a lie of course.

        "I did a terrible job when I started first too, but he never gave me any form of maltreatment, you know," Ashley says as a-matter-of-factly.

        "Oh. Mine’s probably a different case," I rationalize.

        "........." She doesn’t say anything anymore, but I can tell by the look she’s giving me that she didn’t buy the lie I made up.

• • •

        Riondale condominium.

        FROM NOW ON, I WILL be living here. This is the nearest condominium from my workplace. Today will be my first day of living here; the place is fabricated just for me. I’ll be living alone, but the unit contains three rooms, the two remaining vacant rooms will be reserved for guests.

        I insert the key in the doorknob’s keyhole. As I successfully twist it, the door finally opens. I was about to enter inside, but a familiar voice stops me.

        "Lianne?!"

        I jolted in shock. Hearing his voice somehow takes me aback. I stiffen; I don’t know how to face him, especially now that we’re outside our workplace. Shit, why is he here?

        "Ah-ah, Z-Zen... it’s you..." I reply, tongue-tied, as I gawk at his direction.

        "Tch...damn name..." He murmurs something to himself and I didn’t manage to catch up with his words.

        I look at him questioningly, curious of knowing what he said. "Uhm, I’m sorry, what were you saying?" I query quizzically.

        "Nothing," Zen answers coldly, followed by a question. "What’re you doing here?"