Chapter 3

Nostalgia: Beginning

Do you ever think? When you’re all alone? All that we could be? Where this thing could go? Am I crazy or falling in love? Is it real or just another crush? Do you catch a breath? When I look at you? Are you holding back, like the way you do? ‘Cause I’m trying, trying to walk away. But I know this crush ain’t going away

–– Crush, David Archuleta

• • •

        "WHAT BROUGHT YOU HERE?" Maxene asks as she opens the door.

        "........." I don’t answer her question. Instead, I step inside her house and sit on the velour couch without further ado. I sigh deeply and massage my temple. This night is too much for me to handle and I have no idea how I can manage this shit, I am in the mood to talk and vent out.

        Thankfully, the alcohol’s effect on me took off, my head is lighter and I’m feeling a bit sober.

        She places her hands on her hips and arches her brow, giving me a quizzical look "Answer my question, bitch," she presses irately.

        "Don’t use the B-word on me, geez."

        "I can say what I want in this house, bitch," she persuades using her derisive tone.

        Maxene may be the most ferocious person I have ever known, but despite her caustic mouth, she’s my best friend. Back in high school, she was the only one who had the audacity to befriend me, I was perfect in everyone’s eyes but she saw through me. She didn’t treat me as the "it girl" of the school, she treated me as the "real" me.

        Another sigh slips past my lips. I don’t know what to say to her, and I have no idea where to start.

        "Is it about Earl?"

        "Yeah." I nod.

        "Gosh Zoe, it’s been ten damn years and you’re still stuck with that guy? I have given you countless of novels about moving on yet you still haven’t learned anything from it. You need to have some fun you know, life’s too short, you’re a raw twenty-six old woman and you’re still fresh as ever." She crosses her arms on her chest and rolls her eyes.

        I give her a questioning look. "What do you mean?"

        "Hook-up with some random hot guy then get laid."

        There she goes again, giving me one of her carnal advices, sometimes I keep thinking that maybe she’s not taking me seriously. Yeah, she is such a good friend.

        "I value the sanctity of my femininity, Maxene."

        "There’s safe sex, woman. Tch, you talk as if you’ve never done it once," she scoffs.

        I don’t even know where this conversation is going. If this goes on, she’ll probably lecture me about how I’m missing the good things in life, and by good things, she means the things that’ll help one satisfy their libido.

        "I am not going to listen to one of your escapades, Maxene. I’ve had enough for tonight."

        "Fine." She puts her hands up in surrender. "I was just trying to lighten things up, Zoe."

        Despite her incessant lectures and scolding, I know that she cares for me, and she worries about my welfare. That’s how good of a friend she is.