Birdwatching.

A/n: That bird kinda sus, ngl-

—————

Over the span of a few days, you waited by the island for Navajo's wing to heal. Patiently, you watched the waves wash against the nearby beach. How you longed to be back on the open ocean, fishing and exploring, but you wouldn't dare to take a wild creature away from it's natural habitat. That would be absurd, not to mention how cruel that would be.

A Certain someone was thinking the same thing. It would be hard for you to adjust to living on land full time, seeing as you love being on the ocean so much. It would be wrong to take you out of your comfort zone and place you permanently on a pedestal, so to speak. Though on the other hand, the being could have you all to themselves, and keep you safe from all the dangers of this mortal plane. It seemed like a fair tradeoff for your overall wellbeing, in their opinion at least.

It had been about 8 days since you found Navajo in the park, and you noticed that his wing seemed to be nearly healed. You decided that you would walk back to the park to release him tomorrow. Excited that you were finally going to be back on the ocean, you grabbed some money from the safe and headed out to the marketplace to restock the ship. Navajo, who was perched on the Marina's railing, watched as you scuttled about the ship, grabbing all that you needed to bring with you. When you hopped off the ship and left, he stared in the direction he last saw you for a good 10 minutes before looking at the open ocean.

Sooner or later, the being had to make a move.

———————

As you walked past the familiar statue, you thought of Navajo and how... strangely.... the parakeet acted towards you. He was surprisingly used to humans for a wild bird, not to mention how clingy he was. He was also quite quiet, only squawking in response to questions aimed at no one in particular. For a bird, he had strangely human eyes, and you swear that his head plumage is made out of silky hair sometimes. It may just be a local variant of the Sun Parakeet though, you reckoned. Nothing but an environmental adaptation, thats all.

Going to the local grocery store, you picked up all the food you would need for about a month. Though when you passed the pet food aisle, you hesitated.

"Maybe I should buy some bird seed.. y'know, as an incentive, or maybe a send off gift... yea, that sounds good.." you mumbled as you picked up a small bag of high quality bird seed. You also remembered that Navajo has a preference to tropical fruits, and you saw some starfruit on sale, so you decided it would be nice to get him some on top of the seeds. Walking over to the checkout, you unloaded all your cart items onto the conveyer belt. A tired cashier scanned and bagged all your items as you smiled joyfully.

"I hope he likes this kind of fruit, cause it's probably the last batch of food I'll feed him. Kinda sad that I can't keep him, he's extremely well behaved for a wild animal." You hummed to yourself, thanking the gods that you had the sturdy muscles you gained through sailing, as it allowed you to carry all your groceries back to the ship relatively easily.

The hard part was climbing onto the ship without dropping anything. To your surprise, Navajo was still waiting for you on the railing, staring down at you with ocean blue eyes. It was almost like he was studying your very being with his gaze. Unfazed, you smiled up at him.

"Hey buddy! I just went to get some food, nothing much." You said hoisting yourself up onto the ship, bags and all. Once you got on the ship, you finally put the bags down and let out a hearty sigh. Navajo hopped off the railing and toddled over to the bags, climbing up one of them and peering into the bag. You recognized the bag as the one that held the starfruit you bought.