Chapter 4

I wait for Louis in front of my house, sitting on a wooden bench. I haven't been able to do anything since breakfast. I was pissed that I had to sacrifice a part of my day to help him. I was angry at Maman for forcing me to do this.

But mostly, I was nervous. I continuously rubbed my palms against the fabric of my shirt to dry off my sweat. I kept looking at my left hand. The one that he touched. I didn't know how to feel about that whole situation. Earlier today, I washed it five times. I told myself that the water would wash away any part of him on me. Louis made me feel uncomfortable. I had to stay as far away from him as I could.

I look at my watch.

1:29

He could come out at any minute. I start to frantically tap my foot against the gravel soil. What were we supposed to talk about on the way to the village? Would he even answer if I asked?

I search through my brain and try to think about different conversation topics.

Favorite movie?

Favorite singer?

Favorite color?

Great. I can only think of lame questions teachers ask their students on the first day of school. I shake my head. Why am I even making a big deal out of this?

I don't care about him. I don't want to get to know him. I'm helping him because Maman wants me to.

I lean my back against the bench and look down at my watch once more.

1:31

The fucker's late. I am giving up a part of my day for him and he can't even show up on time. What if he never does? Am I being stoop up? Did he decide to go without m-

"You ready?"

I snap out of my thoughts and turn my head to where the voice came from.

Louis, casually leaning against the front door, adjusts his cheap black sunglasses on his nose with one hand and ruffles his hair with the other.

I don't answer and peak down at my watch instead.

1:32

"You're late."

"We said around 1:30? Didn't know we were on a tight schedule Mister.." He looks at me from down-up. "Curly." He ends up stating with a hand gesturing towards my hair.

Why the nickname? He's getting too comfortable, which is making me uncomfortable.

"I go by Harry, if you could please respect that." I reply, irritated.

He only laughs and takes a few steps towards me.

"Yeah whatever."

I thought he was going to stop in front of me. But instead, he continues walking towards the fence that led to the backyard.

He has his back to me. I stay seated on the bench, not quite understanding what he's doing.

"Well are you going to follow me? Or do I have to take you by the hand?" Louis says with a hint of mockery in his voice.

"The bikes. Right." I say while standing up and quickly walking to him.

We both hop on our bikes and head to the village. 

We remain silent during the ride. It feels weird. I want to break it, but I don't know what to say. I chose not to.

I look ahead of me. I catch myself glancing at him from time to time, to make sure we're going at the same pace.