Chapter 22

"What movie are we watching today?"

"Harry, for the fourth time, I'm not telling you! It's a surprise."

Heading toward the village with our bikes, I can't help myself from continuously asking Louis the same question.

Also, focusing on what we're going to do today keeps me distracted from what happened last night. I honestly try to not think about it too much. Louis telling me something personal means so much to me, but I don't want to bring it up. I don't want to push him. If he doesn't ever tell me anything again, I'm okay with that. He trusts me and that's enough for me.

From the second he told me about his drinking problem, I've decided that I was going to stay sober whenever I'm with him, so he doesn't feel left out. It's my way of showing him that I'm on his side. I'm there for him.

"Besides, you don't need to worry about it. I didn't choose an obscure vampire movie like Nosferatu." Louis continued.

"Nosfera- what now?" I asked, completely oblivious to whatever movie he was referencing.

"Nosferatu. A German Expressionist movie. Very interesting once you analyze it, but it remains a super creepy movie."

I love it when he talks about movies and it's history. I can see that he's passionate about what he's studying. His eyes become bright and kind. It's impossible not to get lost in them.

It's in these types of moments, where he's speaking like this, that I forget about everything else around me. Including the fact that I'm riding a bike.

Which is why I accidentally pedal closer to him. Probably too close for friends. Our arms are brushing against one another.

The relationship we've been able to built in not even the past twenty-four hours is too precious for me to throw that away for whatever warmth seems to take over my body when my skin is touching his.

"Oh, sorry." I push myself away from him for us to regain a respectful distance between each other.

"No, no, it's okay." He says quickly. A few moments pass before he quietly adds. "I don't mind."

I should make a joke about how I don't want to make Agathe jealous, but I don't. Agathe and Jeanne seem to be an off-limit subject between us. I just continue to silently pedal next to him.

I don't mind either.

...

"If you're telling me that the movie isn't scary, does that mean that it's a funny movie?"

Louis looks at me with a fake exasperated look on his face.

"Stop asking me questions! It's getting hard to not answer them."

We're now in the town square. Our bikes are parked next to a big tree and we're making our way to the theater.

"Some parts are funny." He finally answers.

I look at him and smile.

"Looking back, the movie is kind of like you." He adds.

"What does that mean?"

"It's..." He stops walking and looks and me intently. He grins. "Colorful. One of my favorite movies if I'm being honest."

My cheeks flush at the compliment. I'm colorful? I guess I always considered myself to be a beige person, who overthinks everything and prefers to be alone. Harry, the colorful one. I like the sound of that.

He pushes the door of the theater open and greets Mathieu, the concierge.

"Bonjour Mathieu." He says with a terrible yet cute French accent.

"Bonjour Louis! What movie are you watching today?" Mathieu answers with a pat on Louis' back.

"Oh, it's a surprise for my... guest." Louis moves closer to Mathieu and whispers something is his ear.

Mathieu looks at me with a smile. "You'll enjoy it, I'm positive." He turns back to Louis. "Do you need help with playing the movie or are you good doing it by yourself?"

"I'm all set sir. Thank you again for your generosity."

"Of course, my boy!" Mathieu answers, smile still plastered on his face. "I wont keep you waiting." He gestures toward a closed door. "Enjoy the movie."

"Thank you!" Louis and me both answer in unison.

As we make our way to the theater room, I feel a hand on my lower back, which immediately makes me tense. When I realize who's touching me, my whole body melts again. It's as if my back took the shape of his hand, giving us the biggest physical contact possible. His hand moves to my hip, griping me lightly. "I'll go get the movie ready. Make yourself comfortable." Louis tells me, face close to my ear. The touch feels intimate, something I should do to Jeanne. I hate myself for appreciate it way more than I should.

He probably is like that with all his friends.

He lets go of me and walks away. I shake whatever non-friendly vision I had of him away and open the theater room door.

It's the smallest room out of all three in this movie theater. It has three rows of about ten benches each. The velvet material covering them is all worn out. Some of the arm rests are gone or broken. Everything is covered by a thin layer of dust. From the first glance, this room looks almost as if it where abandoned. Yet, it feels quite homey.

After analyzing the rows and the seats, I realize that one single seat is clear of dust. Louis' seat. It's located in the middle of the last row. The seat next to him is mine then. I climb the two steps and walk sideways in the last row until I'm in front of the seat next to Louis'.

Do I sit next to him, or do I leave a vacant bench between us?

Is it weird if I impose him to sit next to me? Does he need his space for this?

I look at the two benches. Which one do I pick?

After a long mental debate, I opt for the seat next to his. When I go to the movies with my friends, I sit next to them. Why not do the same with my friend Louis?

The seat is narrow, and I feel completely smushed. There's no leg space and I have to place my arms one both arms rests to be able breathe properly. There's no way Louis and me won't accidently touch during the movie.

As I'm about to switch seats, the lights turn off and the screen is now illuminated.

Fuck it. I'm staying exactly where I am.

I mean, I'm sure we'll be able to avoid touching.

The music starts playing which makes me look up at the screen again. Three people have their backs to the camera. They're all in matching yellow raincoats, each of them carrying a black umbrella over their heads.

The door of the room opens, revealing Louis, with a notepad and pen in hand.

"So, you've found my seat." He says as he plops down next to me. He nudges me with his shoulder.

"I have." I look back at the screen.

"Harry, I can officially tell you that today, we're watching..." He points to the screen.

Singin' in the Rain.

If you guessed the movie right, you have a special place in my heart<3

I love and appreciate every single one of you. Thank you my darlings<3<3<3

P.S. Even though Elio is 17 and Oliver 24 in CMBYN , I've decided to make Harry 18 and Louis 20 (Normal Larry age gap).