Chapter 19

As I walk out of the house, I spot Louis, who is leaning over my dad's car. He has his sunglasses on, as well as his classic blue bandana wrapped around his messy hair. He's in a pensive state, looking up towards the sky. Since it's just the two of us, I slowly make my way to him. I think it would be a good idea if we properly talked before the car ride to the vineyard.

As much as I don't want to, I know it's the best thing to do. Being assholes to each other doesn't fix shit.

I keep telling myself that I should start ignoring him completely and block him out of my life, but I can't. It's like he's been able to get under my skin and I don't know how to get rid of him.

I don't know and I don't think I actually do want to know.

I'm not in his view, so I just quietly go to the other side of the car and lean on it as well.

He looks like he's in a world of his own, where everything from our reality is no longer important. I let him have his moment. I don't think it's a good idea if I brutally interrupt his thoughts.

After a few minutes of awkwardly waiting for him to notice me, I decide to cough.

The wait was getting dreadfully long.

He lightly jumps back in surprise, and I see him being relieved when he notices he's not in danger, but then immediately tenses up when he realizes it's me who's next to him.

This is going to be a lot harder than I thought.

I open my mouth to speak, but he puts his hand up, to signal to not even try.

"Look," he starts, "I don't know what is going on between you and me. We keep fighting over shit I don't usually fight with my other friends."

Wait. Wait. Wait. We've been friends all along? I honestly thought he considered me to be an acquaintance at most. I'm happy to know we're friends, yet I'm still... disappointed?

"And I just think that-"

"Boys!" Papa calls from afar "So glad to see you cheery and ready for the roadtrip!"

I guess our conversation will have to be put on hold for now. How much stalling can we do?

Louis goes to open the passenger seat door.

"You can't sit there" I say. "Maman is usually the one who gives Papa the directions. It's tradition."

Tradition? I'm completely exaggerating. Maybe if he's in the backseat with me, we'll get to talk quietly during the ride to the vineyard and fix this shit calmly. I mean, with my parents in the car, there's no chance of us yelling.

"Let the garçon be in front Harry! He's our guest after all." Louis gives me an "I won" look and sits up front with Papa.

Maman arrives moments later with a fruit basket in her hands. Mafalda probably went to pick them up herself au Marché de Gordes. She goes there once a week to pick up fresh fruits and vegetables. She also loves to bring back local soaps and lotions for the whole family. A basket filled with Gordes' goodies is our classic "Thank you" gift.

She slides in the backseat next to me. She gives me an "Sorry for not being in front, I know you wanted to be in the back with Louis" look and squeezes my hand. Yet again, she knows everything.

As Louis unfolds the town map and starts to trace the way to the vineyard with a pen, Papa starts making light conversation with everyone.

"It's been quite some time since we've been all four of us together. I feel like we only get one boy at a time at the dinner table."