Chapter 21

"You know, while hiding under the table for nearly an hour, I've come to the realization that you're offering me free art history lessons. It's very kind of you."

"I haven't mentioned you the price I've been charging you for the past lessons. I'll write you a check before you leave." Before you leave. Right. Louis will eventually have to leave this place.

"I sadly don't think I can afford you for the rest of my stay..." He answers, trying to lighten the mood. I try and hide my frown but miserably fail. "I have a proposition for you. In exchange for your art history lessons, I'll teach you all I've come to know about movies and it's history."

I turn to fully face him. An opportunity to spend more time with him? Yes please.

A smile creeps across my face as I give him my hand to shake. "I think it's a pretty fair proposition. And you're right, you definitely couldn't have afforded my classes..." He takes it in his and shakes it.

"You can come to the movie theater with me tomorrow afternoon. Let's say we meet in front of the house with our bikes at one-thirty. Is that okay with you?"

"Totally."

"Perfect then"

Since our "let's just be friends" handshake earlier today, everything with Louis has been going pretty smoothly.

I just have to ignore the backflips my stomach makes every time he does something remotely nice. And also ignore how beautiful he is. One step at a time...

We decided to sit next to each other at the dinner table, with all the kids on our right and the adults on our left. We alternate between talking with my cousins, the adults and just us.

We talk about everything and nothing. I've realized that when I'm not overthinking everything he and I do and say, talking with him feels natural.

The conversation between us flows easily and I don't feel the need to prove myself to him. Talking with just the intention of talking is fun. Maybe us deciding to just be friends is the best idea we've had thus far this summer.

The last bits of sunlight stretch out in the sky, leaving trails of pink and orange behind. It's now almost nine and I feel like we've been here for ages already.

As I finish my second glass of wine, I notice that Louis has hardly drank his first one.

"Do you not like wine?" I ask.

He sets his fork on the side of his cheese and fruit filled plate and takes a few moments to recollect himself before answering. "I don't hate it. I just know myself. If I have one glass, I'll want another one and then another and another and another... Until I've had two full bottles to myself, and you'll be stuck carrying me out of here before I go and puke all over the front gardens." He seems to be meaning a lot more than what he's saying.

Oh. I feel stupid for asking now. He understands what I'm thinking and continues talking.

"Don't worry about it though. I just don't think that getting drunk in front of eleven children is the brightest idea."

"Okay, I get it." I say, even though I'm not entirely sure I do. Is he trying to tell me that he's an alcoholic? Or does he just have difficulty with self control? I'm a bit lost.

I want to ask him a bunch of questions about what he just told me, but I don't want to pressure him. He doesn't owe me any explanation. He was kind enough to be honest about it though and I'm grateful for that bit of information I got out of him. It makes me feel trusted.

He looks around to the adults, who are all visibly drunk and are not paying attention to us. He looks at the kids, who are too occupied with eating and throwing each other food to notice us.