Chapter 44

Kasey's POV

December 15, 2019

I could hear some commotion going on down the hall as I was still half-asleep in bed, and I decided to ignore it. I hadn't slept in late in a long time, with rehearsals starting and me being busy. So I was going to enjoy my peaceful morning. I pulled the blankets tighter around me, and tried to fall back asleep. I heard the door creep open, and I groaned even though I knew it was Ben. Within a few seconds, I felt his hand gently rub my back.

"No," I mumbled, which made him chuckle.

"It's someone's special day today."

"I don't care. The day can start without me," I yawned.

"Do I need to bring backup?" Ben warned. All I could do was groan as Ben called out to the hallway.

"Happy birthday Kasey!" Dan shouted as him and Josh walked into the room and plopped down onto the end of the bed. I had flashbacks to my 16th birthday when everyone decided to wake me up, almost just like this.

"Too loud," I pulled the blanket over my head, but it was no use. Dan and Josh's early morning golden retriever energy wasn't going to go away.

"The big 21!" Josh yelled with a cheer. I stifled a laugh and finally peeked my head out under the blankets, and smiled tiredly at the three of them.

"Are you excited for tonight?" They'd basically planned out my entire 21st birthday party without telling me anything, which I was honestly grateful for. It would be kind of like a surprise.

"Of course."

"If your hangover isn't horrible tomorrow, then that means we failed."

"Well, thanks for the wake up call guys. But why was it necessary?" I sighed, finally sitting up.

"Because we made your favoriteee! Banana pancakes," Dan winked.

"So get up before it's all cold!" Josh added.

"I'm up, I'm up!" I quickly jumped out of bed, knowing they'd start tickling me if I didn't get up. I wrapped the blanket around me and took it with me instead of putting on a sweatshirt. In the kitchen, the table was set with a place for everyone, and there were balloons around mine.

"Aww, guys! This is so cute!" I looked back and smiled at them. We sat down, and we laughed as Ben stuck some birthday candles in my stack of pancakes and lit them. I held up my plate and giggled as they all took pictures of me, some of which later ended up on Instagram as a birthday shoutout. They sang happy birthday to me, and I blew the candles out.

"What was your wish?" Josh asked.

"I'm not supposed to tell anyone my wish, silly," I reminded him. Even though they'd woken me up against my will, I was definitely the luckiest girl in the world. After we'd all eaten I went back to my room and changed. When I came back, the three of them were in the living room doing 'Carrying the Banner' choreography.

"What in the world are you guys doing?" I smirked, noticing they had the Newsies movie on.

"What does it look like?" Josh asked, panting. I laughed as they continued dancing. You can take the boys out of Newsies, but you can never take the Newsies out of the boys I guess. I watched them until they finished the end of the song, and I clapped for them. They headed back into the kitchen to clean up dishes, acting like their random dance moment never happened. I noticed Ben was pouring another cup of coffee. He was yawning, and dark circles were noticeable under his eyes.

"You look exhausted, Benny. You need to take a break. And get more sleep," I gently smiled and squeezed his hand. Ben rolled his eyes.

"I'm fine, Kasey. Chill out." I bit my lip, trying to not be affected by the annoyance in his voice.