Chapter 32

Kasey's POV

Addie and I were staring at each other silently, both with our charcoal face masks on. We were soaking our feet, and we each had white bathrobes on. Addie suddenly burst out laughing, and I joined in.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I guess that means I blinked first," she said.

"I can't believe we just had a staring contest."

"Who knew Spa Day could be so boring? Why are we even soaking our feet, we both know it's not gonna make a difference on our gross dancer feet," she pointed out and I laughed again.

"I don't feel any more relaxed either," I admitted. We dried off our feet and went to her bathroom to wash off our face masks. Before doing so, we took a mirror selfie, of course.

"The giant pimple on my face didn't go away either. This day has been a fail," Addie complained. We gave up on the rest of the activities and decided to go out to get lunch at one of our favorite spots called B. Good. As I grabbed my food and sat down at the table Addie picked for us, she looked at me intently.

"What?"

"Are you gonna be okay Kasey?" she gave me a soft look, and I forced a half smile. I'd obviously told her the whole story about the party earlier today, and she'd felt horrible. It made me feel better that she knew because I trusted her, but I was honestly terrified for dance tomorrow. What am I supposed to do? Are we just supposed to pretend like nothing ever happened?

"I don't know," I said quietly before biting into a fry. She sighed.

"This whole thing sucks. I can't believe he did that to you. But I'm here for you, for whatever you need." Addie reached over and squeezed my hand, and I smiled.

"Thanks, Addie. I appreciate you a lot."

"I have your back no matter what happens tomorrow and this season. My boyfriend would totally beat him up for you too," she said and I laughed.

"I'm sure mine would too if he was here, but it's fine. I don't want that."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Why don't you want to tell anyone? Zane doesn't deserve his spot here, and he's certainly not welcome anymore."

"They adore Zane. They don't want to let him go. And if they do, everyone will be mad at me. I don't know, I just think it's best if I just don't mess anything up."

"But he messed everything up, he deserves to pay. But- I get what you mean. I'm with you no matter what you decide to do." she nodded. We continued to eat our lunch, but my mind was racing and I felt on edge as I imagined what would happen tomorrow. Also, what would the rest of the season look like?

My stomach turned as I imagined myself having to dance with him every single night. How am I supposed to do this? The thought of even seeing Zane again was enough to send me into a panic. I pushed all the thoughts away so I could enjoy the rest of the day with Addie, and I decided I would tell my mom later, since we'd planned to eat dinner together. She always knew what to do, and always had the best advice. No matter how old I got, I would always need her support.

-

I picked at the skin around my nails as I waited for my mom to get off the phone, sitting on the couch. We had planned to get dinner together, but she'd been on the phone when I had arrived and was still on the call half an hour later. Who is she talking to, and why has it been so long? I had already been nervous to talk to her, and waiting wasn't making it any better. I looked around the room, and my eyes went to the picture frames on the wall and there was my family at the Newsies movie premiere. I smiled at the memory. I finally heard footsteps coming, and I turned my head to see my mom.