Chapter 17

The first couple of weeks lying to Michael went fine. I avoided Ashton as much as I could, which wasn't easy. I'm not sure how long I can keep this up. Everyone but Michael still thinks I'm dating Ashton. Including Ashton.If Michael finds out, he is going to hate me. I needed to find a way to officially break up with Ashton.

"Jaelyn! Wait up!" Ashton runs to catch up with me in the hallways. I roll my eyes and try to find the nearest escape. "No, seriously." He grabs my arm and pulls me to the side.

"What do you want?"

"I miss you. We haven't seen each other in a week." He looks me in the eyes, hoping for forgiveness.

I shake my head, "No, I don't care. You really hurt me last week, Ashton. And to be completely honest, I hate you. I don't want to be with you but you won't let me leave! Ok? So just leave me alone."

"Tell me what you really think, why don't you? I mean, did you really have to say all that?" He is getting angry again but this time he can't hurt me because we are in the middle of a hallway full of students.

"Well, its how I feel. I'm done and you don't seem to understand that."

"I can change that. I'll make you want to be with me again. I swear." He pleads pathetically.

"Oh my god Ashton! No! Get over it!" I try to get away from him but Ashton grabs me and kisses me. One last useless attempt to change my mind. I push him off of me and run down the hallway hoping he won't follow me. I duck into the nearest bathroom and lock myself into a stall. Ashton was ruining my life.

After about 30 minutes, I finally leave the bathroom and head to my first class. When I walk in, Mr. Wood gives me look that lets me know, detention is inevitable because of my tardy. I take my seat behind Michael.

"So, what are we writing about today?" I ask him. He keeps his head and doesn't even acknowledge me. I tap him on the shouolder, "Michael, hey, what are we doing today?"

He just keeps writing, his hand moving fast across the paper. Ok, so he was ignoring me. Maybe he was really into what he was writing. Not that I would know, considering I came in to class half an hour late. I guess I'll ask him about after class.

When class was over, I went up to Mr. Wood's desk and got my detention slip. Michael was already heading out the door so I walk fast enough to catch up. 

"Hey, whats up?" I ask as I fall into sterp beside him.

"Nothing." He says flatly.

"Um, it doesn't sound that way. You ignored me all through class and now you are just acting cold towards me. So somethings wrong. Just tell me what it is." I keep pushing.

He stops in the middle of the hallway, causing me to run into him. "Ok, you want to know whats wrong, Jaelyn?" I nod. "Did you ever even break up with Ashton?"

I hestitate. I should have seen this coming. He was bound to find some time. "Michael-"

"Save it, Jaelyn. I don't want to hear it I'm done." He turns and quickly walks away from me. I stare after him until its time for me to head to class. 

Things with Michael couldn't really be over. He just needed time to relax. I would talk to him at lunch to find out whats going. In order for me to get through te day, I had to keep telling myself that everything was going to be ok. It was only the second class of the day and everything was falling apart.

Later, on my way to lunch, Adley and Luke find me.

"Hey Jaelyn. Have you talked to Michael today? He seems pissed. Like, I wonder what happened. Maybe he'll tell us at lunch because I really want to know. Michael is never angry but today he just totally seems different." Adley explains.

"Uh, yeah. I've seen him but he hasn't said anything. Have you talked to him Luke?" I turn to the quiet blonde boy.

"No." He shakes his head. Adley takes his hand and keeps talking.

"Yeah but if he tells you anything, Jaelyn, you have to tell us because I need to know."

"I know, Adley. I've told you everything I know. So I guess we will just have to find out later if he decides to talk about it." I shrug. I hate lying to her but I don't any other choice.

When we sit down at our table, Michael is already there silently eating the gross school pizza. He hates it but he told gross pizza is better than no pizza. I sit down next to him and shifts over just a little bit.

"Hey Michael." Adley smiles when she finds her seat.

"Hey guys. Whats up?"

"Nothing really. How about you? Anything terrible happen today?" She asks not-so-subtley.

He gives her a weird look and continues to take bites of his pizza. "Shouldn't you go sit with your boyfriend, Jaelyn?" He spits out.

"I don't, uh, think so. He's...we're...well, its confusing." I stutter.

"He is still your boyfriend, yes?" He glares at me

I nod slowly, stuck in a situation I couldn't get out of.

"Ok, then you should go sit with him."

"Wait. Am I missing something? Whats going on between you two?" Adley looks at us trying to figure out what is going on.

"Nope. Nothings wrong." I say.

MIchael laughs sarcastically and shakes his head. "You bitch."

Adley just continues to stare at him in shock, her eyes widening.

"You are a lying bitch! Two weeks ago you told me that you broke up with Ashton! You swore that nothing was between you anymore!" He jumps out of his chair. "You lied to me when I trusted you. So this morning when I come in to school, imagine my surprise when I see you making out with him in the hallway! In front of everyone!" He's yelling at the top of his lungs now so everyone can hear.

Adley shakes her head in confusion, "Why does that even matter? If she broke up with Ashton or not?"

"Because she's supposed to be with me!" Michael yells. "We've been dating for almost 3 weeks now but Jaelyn decided we should keep a secret until everything with Ashton died down. But you never even broke up with him." I was crying now. I had made the biggest mistake and hurt Michael. Which is something I never wanted to do. And now everyone was finding out about it. He looks at me and for a second, I could see guilt flash across his face.

In that moment, I hated myself. I hated everything about me. I was too stupid to realize something like this would happen. I was too scared to leave Ashton for good.

"It doesn't even matter, Jaelyn. Whatever we had, its over." He walks out of the lunchroom, leaving me there with tears pouring out of my eyes, my face bright red, and everyone staring at me.